Personal Essay | Teen Ink

Personal Essay

May 10, 2011
By Taylarie BRONZE, Columbus, Montana
Taylarie BRONZE, Columbus, Montana
1 article 1 photo 0 comments

I have three stories to tell, all of them deal with a different brother. I have many other people that have influenced my life in many different ways but these three stories of these brothers stick out the most.

“When you head off to college no matter how far away you go, if you ever need anything, anything at all you call me and I'll be
there.” My big brother Nate and I have been through a lot together. No matter how much something I might have done might disappoint

him he still loves me and still cares about me. If I have a bad day I'll go hang out with him because he is the type of person that makes everything better. Part of why my brother influences me so much is because of how much he cares about people. For example he has always been there for me and I can call him whenever I need him. He shows me how much of an amazing person he is everyday. Another reason he has influenced me is because he does what he loves and loves what he does for a living. He is my only brother that went to college and finished. He got offered a lot of full rides to places for wrestling, but he turned them down to go to tech school in Wyoming and get a degree in something he loves. That shows me his dedication, all because of my brother I care about everyone that has any matter to me and he makes me determined to be able to do what I love.

He felt so much better that he threw his arms around me with a hug and told me “thank you”. My little brother Isaiah has some mental problems he is ADHD, Bipolar and technically has the mind of a 10 year old when he is actually 16, but I've had too deal with him quite a few times. But one specific time is stuck in my head. We were in elementary school and we were riding the bus home after school and some kids were making fun of him. He got off the bus very angry, and our mom was gone, so that meant I was in charge. I had asked him to do his homework but he was to upset to. So I handed him a piece of paper, and told him to let out his anger by writing his feelings, and to let me know when he was finished. When he finished I told him now rip the paper up as much as you want and throw it away. That's when he gave me the hug. After the hug he went off and did his homework with no problems. That right there being able to help him made me feel amazing.

“He wanted to grow up and be a teacher, but hated school. I thought he was crazy.” My big brother Jeremy was heading off to college to become a history and gym teacher. As I pondered his craziness and how amazing it made me feel to help out my little brother that is when my brothers decision helped me. He made me realize that that is what I want to do, I want to be a teacher, I want to help little kids. I want to be the person that makes them feel special, makes them feel smart, and the person they thank for getting them through elementary school.

Due to these three brothers and their decision making, and for being in my life. They have helped curve my life into the right direction. Nate made me passionate and dedicated. The passion I have is to help as many children I can, the dedication I have is to stick with my plans and not make any changes to what I have decided to do with my life. Isaiah made me realize that I can handle and help kids that need the extra help or extra time spent on them, and Jeremy made me realize that I want to become a teacher and help others. These two brothers worked together and made me realize what it was I need to do with my life.

“Other things may change us, but we start and end with family.”

-Anthony Brandt