I Believe I Will Be Okay | Teen Ink

I Believe I Will Be Okay

May 6, 2011
By Anonymous

I believe I will be okay. It was a year ago. A tragic accident occurred on the overpass. I remember this day clearly because it was the day I had surgery. I had just left the hospital, when my mom got a phone call. I asked who it was. I looked upon my mom’s face and saw her tears. Right then, I knew the phone call was bad. I sat in the back seat wondering what could be wrong. My mom turned to me and said, “ We have to go to Grandma’s.” I sat in the seat wondering if she was ok.

We arrived at my grandma’s at 10:00 a.m. I walked up the sidewalk only to see my dad crying. I knew what I was about to hear was bad. I looked around to see if everyone was there. Everyone was except my grandpa. My dad and mom took me inside to tell me what had happened. They told me that there had been an accident. I asked, “ Is Paw Paw David ok?” When I saw the look in my mom’s eye, I knew that he wasn’t. They told me that he was hit by two trucks that were racing on the highway. He was hurt bad. He had brain damage from flying out of the window. He died as soon as he got to the hospital. I thought right then and there that my life was over.

I cried for almost a week. Everyone told me that it will be okay. I wondered if the boys that hit him should be punished. If it weren’t for them, he would still be here. They took away someone that I cared about deeply. I thought to myself, “ How could this have happened to me?” Why do I deserve this?”
I believe that my grandpa doesn’t want me to have hate in my heart. He wants me to forgive the boys for his death. I also know that the boys were sorry for what they did. I have to forgive them. I know that they have to live with the thought on their minds that they killed someone, someone who was deeply loved by his family. I will not forget my grandpa.
He doesn’t want me to be sad. I know that he will always, be in my heart. I realize, this is not the end of the world. I believe that I can be happy, even though he’s not here. No one will be able to replace him. I believe that he is watching over me. I believe that I’m not alone. I believe he can hear me. I can hear his voice when I sleep. I can feel it when I weep. I believe that he is now in a good place. He and I will soon meet again. I learned that I will be able to move on with my life without him here. This taught me to be strong, when it comes to death