To Serve Is To Love | Teen Ink

To Serve Is To Love

May 3, 2011
By christina beter BRONZE, Metairie, Louisiana
christina beter BRONZE, Metairie, Louisiana
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

To the average human being, service can be defined as work done by a person or group that benefits another. In most cases, services done for others are required. Whether it be necessary service hours in order to graduate high school or to comply with the law, most students do not even realize the impact that one minor change has upon others. In fact, when most students participate in service, they do not put any effort or meaning into their works. On the other hand, I believe, as Mother Teresa taught, “Love cannot remain by itself—it has no meaning. Love has to be put into action, and that action is service.”
When I first began doing service, I volunteered at various hospitals. During my time at the hospitals, I answered the phones, filed paperwork, and wheeled patients to other rooms. In other words, though I was committing my service to others, my heart was not in my job. I knew I needed to work with individuals who I could help improve their lives. I wanted to make a difference in the world.
Soon after, I began to volunteer as schools for mentally retarded students of various ages. During my time there, I was the cheerleading instructor. I had the ability to put a smile on a pouting face simply by mentioning the word cheerleading. I taught the girls how to make sharp motions, “super cool” jumps (as they liked to call them), and even small pyramids. Nothing made me happier than to see these girls excited and feel accomplished. Such simple acts brought immeasurable amounts of joy to these girls’ lives. For once in my life, I felt like I had made a difference because my love was in my service to others.
Currently, I am a “Come Lord Jesus Leader” for my school Mount Carmel Academy. With this title, I lead a group of freshman girls onto God’s path. We discuss the gospel of Sunday’s mass so that they understand it as well as pray to the Lord in thanksgiving and petition. During our time together, I feel as though we are one with God. My goal as a “Come Lord Jesus Leader” is to show my girls that it is okay to think God is cool. In the modern world, most teens are beginning to stray away from their faith, and I want to prevent this. Although I cannot impact the entire world, I know that by displaying my love for God, my 12 girls will follow my lead.
Overall, as a senior in high school, I have volunteered approximately 246 service hours. Working anywhere from hospitals, to mentally retarded schools, and even to 30 minute sessions about God, I have learned one major lesson: “You must be the change you wish to see in the world” (Gandhi.) Even though I cannot change the world, I know that if I put all my love into my service to others, I can change the world piece by piece.