Does the Government Have All the Control? | Teen Ink

Does the Government Have All the Control?

May 3, 2011
By Anonymous

“That this nation, under got, shall have a new birth of freedom—and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish form the earth.” —Abraham Lincoln
Above is a prime example of what Democracy stands for. It represents how our country needs to come together and be one with the people. However, we still have not done this. On the outside our government may seem like the greatest in the world. We get to vote. We have laws to protect us. The government is on our side. We are the United States of America.
However, where do are taxes really go? Do our votes really matter? Do they really have ‘helping us’ on the agenda? When we have to take pay cuts do they get cuts as well? Do we have a say on the matter of laws? Do they have all the control and we just don't see it?
One, of the biggest examples of this is the “murder” of John F. Kennedy. During his presidency JFK was going to take out the troops in Vietnam and not go into Cuba like the Military wanted. As hard as it is to believe, most likely it was our government as the conspirators and the murderers of JFK. The Warren commission who “investigated” Kennedys death was headed by Earl Warren, who was head of the CIA, but was fired by JFK. Now why would they have one of JFK’s biggest enemies lead the investigation into his death? Most people
believe that our government is good, but with the grassy knoll theory it proves that when our government and people with lots of power don't get what they want, they take full control. They even have the power to frame someone else and pass a ridiculous impossible story as the truth. If they can kill the President of the United States of America there is no limit to their power. There are many more examples through out American history. One is gas prices. At the moment gas prices are soaring to a ultimate high. Most of California is above $4.16 a gallon according to gasbuddy.com. Most of the time the government has a good reason why prices are high. Such as the BP oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico. However this time they have no reason for it at all. They are getting so high that people cant drive anymore and there is no clear reason why. Another example is Eminent Domain where the government can take a your land for pretty much any reason they see fit. Yes you are entitled to compensation, but are you really going to get a fair price for it? We don't see or choose not to see how much power our government has and it is dangerous.

In conclusion, we all know what our government is suppose to stand for and protect. However soon as something happens that people in power don't like they take full control. They have no regard for what is right and the law for which we abide by everyday as sorry as it is, the American people are so naive to what powers our government really has.


“ Our government… teachers the whole people by its example. If the government becomes the law breaker, it breeds contempt for law; it invites every man to become a law unto himself; it invites anarchy.” -Louis Brandeis