The Little Black Line | Teen Ink

The Little Black Line

May 3, 2011
By TripleZee BRONZE, Boones Mill, Virginia
TripleZee BRONZE, Boones Mill, Virginia
4 articles 0 photos 6 comments

Favorite Quote:
When you do the common things of life in an uncommon way, you earn the attention of the world. - Dr. George Washington Carver
The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little something extra. ;)


Fingers fly over the keyboard, letters form into words, words into sentences, and sentences into a beautiful creation. Then it happens. The flow of words stops abruptly, replaced by that little blinking black line. Writer’s block, the author’s worst nightmare, has struck again. I looked around expectantly, as if an amazing idea would magically fly into my head and I could resume working again.
Darn it, and I thought I was doing so well. The line continued to flash, mocking me by throwing my lack of inspiration in my face. I didn’t know what it was called, all I knew was that I wanted to kill it, but technically that would have been impossible.
After wandering through the house aimlessly, I returned to the computer, only to find line still blinking and no words forming at my fingertips. I was positive that ideas were floating around somewhere; and it was my calling to find them. Somewhere between imagining myself strangling that line and skipping through my brain looking for words to type I must have fallen asleep, because when I looked at the clock it was two hours later. The line continued to stare at me blankly. I frowned at it and just as I curled my hand into a fist to punch the screen an idea popped into my head. I typed furiously and smiled, the reign of the little black line had finally come to an end.


The author's comments:
Every author experiences writer's block at some point in there writing career. I personally blame it on that nameless black line.
This is the shortest story I think I've ever written, I hope you enjoy it and that it makes you laugh :)
Be honest and brutal please!