I Miss You | Teen Ink

I Miss You

By VictoriaSnigglebottom BRONZE, New York, New York
VictoriaSnigglebottom BRONZE, New York, New York

"As you grow older, you will discover that you have two hands, one for helping yourself, the other for helping others' - Audrey Hepburn

Heidi sat in a corner and cried; cried for herself, and for her distant love. She remembered the day that they first became friends.
Heidi was 6 at the time, when she her parents took her to their friends’ house. Even as a 6 year-old, she remembered seeing him the first time. He was adorable, with a cute baby face and an inviting smile. She remembered playing outside with him and her two friends. They would all jump on the hammock and giggle when someone fell off. At night, they would dare each other to stand outside alone, next to the door in the dark of night.

That same hammock, two years ago was their sanctuary. Heidi’s memory stretched to capture the moment. They lay on the hammock, side by side. She turned around and saw his face, bathed in warm sunset light. He was, to her, gorgeous. They lay there for a long time, talking about everything from school, to what they did in their free time. Then, he left. Heidi remembered his sad face as he looked back that last time. She smiled tearfully, leaning against the wall, unable to stand up.

He left for an entire, excruciating year. Heidi gave up hope that she would ever see him. After all, he lives two states away from her. Yet, the moment came. She remembered running after her friend, who stole her fork. In a swift motion, he caught her with his arm. She crashed against his chest as he pulled her close to him. She looked up at him and he smiled warmly.
“Hey” he had said to her.
Heidi felt her chest tighten and she didn’t answer for a second.
“Hey” she answered back.
Heidi spent a whole night with him and their two other friends sitting in

Once again, he left her for another year. Yet, his goodbye hug was tight and longer than usual. She thought of it a whole year, as they sent each other cute text messages. They finally met almost a whole year later. She memorized every little conversation they had, before being in a large walk-in closet with a bunch of little kids playing in there in the dark. Heidi ended up being in the corner with his arm around her shoulders, pulling her close to him.
“Heidi, can you come play with me?” her 10-year old friend, Maria asked her pleadingly.
Heidi looked at him in the dark and he tightened his grip on her shoulders.
“Please?” Maria asked.
“Fine, I’ll be right there.” Heidi said, dejected.
She was about to get up, when all of a sudden he leaned down and kissed her.

This is a true experience, written from the perspective of a fictional character, Heidi. Tell me what you think about my writing, please!