Leaders of Tomorrow | Teen Ink

Leaders of Tomorrow

By zaggyrb BRONZE, Solon, Ohio
zaggyrb BRONZE, Solon, Ohio

In contemporary society, leadership in teens is becoming instrumental to success everywhere as adolescents are now assuming responsibility for activities that range from leading student organizations to directing community service at local churches. Regardless of the type of leadership exemplified, three virtues stand out as paramount qualities of the teen paragon: diligence, motivation, and empathy. These three qualities work in concert to help breed the perfect teen leader whose exploits have the potential to ripple throughout the community and beyond.

Now more than ever, a robust sense of diligence is necessary for quality leadership in today’s teens as modern cultural mores bestow adolescents with newfound independence and individuality. In order to excel, teenagers should be willing and able to put forth any amount of work that is necessary for helping a goal come to fruition. Whether volunteering or working, hard work is always one of the secrets to success and teens should strive to not only help themselves, but to help others as well. Many teens these days just expect the fruits of their labor to just fall into their hands without the necessary perseverance. Teen leaders however, will always toil toward their goals no matter the circumstances.

In addition to diligence, motivation works in tandem to create the perfect recipe for stellar teen leadership. In the modern world, those teens that are fueled by a burning passion to succeed are the most apt to transcend the rest of their peers and soar to bold new heights. For a teen to sustain the immense responsibilities of being a youth leader, a fundamental desire to excel has to be present. Without a sense of motivation, teens find themselves mired in an emotional morass of indifference and apathy that often serves as an impasse to future success. When one looks at the leaders of some of America’s largest organizations, one motif pervades all of their personalities: a brilliant sense of motivation and initiative that drives their success in their respective businesses. The fruits of such virtues are echoed in the teen population as well. Everywhere, club officers from student organizations exhibit a stalwart sense of ambition and a drive to succeed.

Finally, teen leaders need to foster a strong sense of empathy and understanding with the people around them. Without such virtues, teen leaders aren’t able to appropriately address the concerns of those around them. Many fail to realize that the people around them can exert a profound influence on their actions and decisions. Empathizing with those around you allows you forge bonds of unity that help teen leaders maintain the integrity and structure of the organizations that they are in charge of. Dismissing the concerns of others and ignoring the distress of people around us are reagents that only help to catalyze our downfall in the grand scheme of things.

All in all, it is imperative that teen leaders possess the qualities of diligence, motivation, and empathy because they are the seeds that when properly cultivated, can grow and ripen into the sweet fruits of labor that all leaders, whether teens or adults, seek to realize. These virtues are the threads that have weaved all of history’s leaders into one ever-expanding skein of ingenuity and innovation whose achievements and accolades will reverberate through the fabric of future generations for years to come.