Selena Sue | Teen Ink

Selena Sue

By Jessie Cowin BRONZE, Seattle, Washington
Jessie Cowin BRONZE, Seattle, Washington

Her hair is as blond as the curls on Shirley Temple, her eyes dark brown yet so gentle. Selena got taken from her home by CPS at the beginning of August. She was 13 months old. My family was blessed to have the cutest baby come live with us on August 19, 2009.
Selena's mom Kelli and her dad Robert are both deaf but Selena was so lucky to come out as a fully hearing, healthy child. Her home was a dumpy motel room with nothing but a bed. Her mom and dad had problems, not making the right choices. These wrong choices are what brought her to us.
We had a weekend to get ready for her. We had to be investigated by CPS, and we had to have a room ready for her. Friends donated clothes, a crib, a car seat, toys, and even their time, helping us paint and fix up her room. It was a big job, but we were so excited. I remember going to Everett to the DSHS office to pick her up. She didn't cry; she was content to come with us, even though she didn't know us. The first two weeks she was with us, she learned to walk.
She wasn't really talking much because her parents were deaf. She basically lived in a silent world. We worked with her on words, and we taught her simple signs. Within a few months she was starting to really talk, and learned to sign some words as well. She was such a joy to have in our house. She bonded with our family so quickly. It really didn't take any time for her to adjust to us and her new surroundings.
It has been a year and a half now. Selena is 30 months old and is your typical toddler. Selena has come a long way since that day. She has one of the biggest personalities. She loves to dance, read books, paint, build Legos, and go for walks. She's very independent, always wanting to do everything herself. She is also very smart. For instance, she loves animals and she knows animals that most 2-year-olds wouldn't know. She knows what an arctic fox is and an iguana, specifically.
She can have a big attitude sometimes, too, like throwing herself on the floor when she doesn't get her way. Putting the tantrums aside, she is my sunshine on a cloudy day. When you're upset she is always there to make you happy. She says the cutest things at just the right time. Selena hates to see any of us leave the house without her, and gets so excited when we come home.
Selena likes watching movies. At first she got into Monsters Inc. and Mulan. Then we introduced her to How To Train Your Dragon. Each of these movies we all have now watched millions of times. She discovered Free Willy and Free Willy 2. This surprised us because these weren't really made for kids her age; they weren't animated, but she loves Free Willy.
Selena has visitations with her mom twice a week for two hours each. They often go to the mall and her favorite place to go is the Rainforest Cafe because of all the animals. The crocodile is one of her favorite things to look at there. She also loves to shop, even looking at price tags just like we do.
I cannot see myself living without her. It's almost like she has become a part of me because I can't be away from her for too long without seeing her or missing her like crazy.
Selena Sue is the love of my life, and I wouldn't be who I am today if it wasn't for her.