Without Love, Without Light

To have seen - what a blessing! To have understood - infinitely better! But pray tell, what happens when neither occur? When the sunrise never reaches the eyes and the soul remains in darkness... does love ever reach that destitute land, where the sun never shines? Love feeds the soul as sun feeds the earth. How barren is the land of the heart! No vegetation grows to cover its nakedness, no joy entices the birds to song. Storms and summer pass the land, but the land remains unchanged. Come lightning bolts and rising waters the stolid ground does not crack, does not crumble, does not bleed. The land is dead. The soul is dead.. without light, without love. Should a sunset occur behind those eyes, would the world even notice? Does the world not lend some love, some light, to the destitute soul for lack of knowledge of the plight? Does the heart hide itself so well behind those eyes that know no light? Or does the world know of the pain, the painful numbness? Has some keen heart seen the hurt and heard the sigh, but failed to act for lack of interest? After all, what is an other's barren land when I have my own?