Walls | Teen Ink

Walls

By dreams_end PLATINUM, Ogden, Utah
dreams_end PLATINUM, Ogden, Utah

We all sit in our separate rooms with no concern for what the others are doing. Each day of our lives is spent keeping to ourselves, ensuring minimum interaction between us.

You two sit in silence as you watch the movies and television shows that you devote every night to. The volume is loud; I can hear it, even with my door closed, and I feel it send tremors through the walls.

Your son locks himself in his room doing god-knows-what. Perhaps he is designing a Lego contraption of sorts, or maybe he is sitting alone with his violent thoughts, wondering why everyone in the world seems to be against him. He doesn't make a sound and goes unnoticed for the rest of the night.

Your daughter is at her laptop, typing away, listening to music or reading stories to numb the pain and push away her darkest thoughts. She wonders if anyone notices her at all beyond the daily polite conversation. She is secretly torn apart by the stale silence that has seeped in to our lives over the years.

Do you hear it? Do you hear the haunting sound of the nothingness that fills your house? Do you know what is going on in the lives of your family? Do you care? Does it matter to you at all?