Moment For Life | Teen Ink

Moment For Life

March 14, 2011
By StellaMae BRONZE, Waterloo, New York
StellaMae BRONZE, Waterloo, New York
4 articles 0 photos 6 comments

Nerves pulsed through my entire body like I was jolted with 100 watts of electricity. The unsettling of my stomach and mind must have been obvious on my reddening face. I could sense that it was coming. One of the most important moments in almost everyone’s life.
We sat there on that old red love seat that was so worn fabric was falling off everywhere. As we gazed into each other’s eyes I could tell he was nervous to. I hoped that he couldn’t sense the amount of fear that was really running through my body, only the small amount that was visible in my actions.

The walls of that small room were covered in pictures of his family. The pictures dated back to his great grandfather. In them you saw the good time that was had with each other in the past. They were depicting family meetings such as Christmas, Reunions, and Thanksgiving. All were smiling down on us as we sat. The light blue recliner next to us had just recently become empty from his sister leaving the room.
The silent murmur of the five o’clock news rung throughout the whole house from the television in the living room. The gay childish laughter of his little brother playing with his mini cars and the clanking of them smashing together was almost as loud as the TV. His grandparents gentle voices were like an air conditioner, not loud but you can always hear it in the background. The entire house was filled with the smell of chicken, which so delicately hit your nose. It left a lasting impression a sweet lemon smell with a kick of pepper.

Even with all of the things that were going on in the house we continued staring at each other with the softness of love but the eagerness of thinking that finally this moment was going to happen. Both of our bodies were completely paralyzed in the position we were sitting in as if we looked straight into Medusa’s eyes.
I remember thinking that his eyes were so beautiful. They were blue. With a very depictable shade of green mixed in. They weren’t sharp eyes, rather they were relaxing. Every time I looked in them all of the sorrow of the world, of anything that I was stressed about, simply faded away into the dark abyss of my mind.

At a quick swing of his hands he grabbed mine and made sure that now our hands were intertwined. At that moment I felt my nerves being built up even more. It felt like my insides were potatoes that were slowly being mashed. I was scared but excited, nervous yet calm. I couldn’t really figure out the solid emotion that I was feeling inside. There was one thing I was sure of; that this moment is in mind was perfect.

He slowly began to lean in, approaching me like an elegant swan gliding through the water. At that moment I felt as if I were going to puke, or pass out one. I had never been kissed before, how am I supposed to know what to do. Am I going to do it wrong? Am I going to be a bad kisser? What was I going to do? I knew I couldn’t put this off forever.

I slowly began leaning in. Both of our eyes were still connected like they were cemented together. Then gradually I felt my eyes begin to shut. Not quite sure why they shut. I guess that’s how I saw it. In all of those sappy romance movies you always watched them shut their eyes then kiss each other passionately, so I guess my body just told me that’s what I was supposed to do.

Gently our lips collided. Butterflies exploded in my stomach. My entire body tingled as if I was getting struck by lightning. It was moist like you were kissing a bucket of water. Soft, similar you were laying your lips upon a pillow. Squishy, parallel to kissing a fresh coat of light snow. Most of all, it was wonderful, absolutely wonderful. That moment was one of the best and most perfect moments I have ever experienced.