Lightness of the Dark

Something pulled me to the Earth that night: an invisible, threaded string interlaced through my dynamic body, drawing me toward the living, breathing, pulsing ground. It was dark, that I remember. And warm, the air filled by the merciful mid-Atlantic breeze that always arrives before the oppressive heat as if to say, “Sorry for what’s to come.”
Oh, how I sprinted, faster than I had for any sport, slicing through the fresh air, my feet effortlessly springing off the spongy turf.
I ran.
I ran and ran.
I ran into the night, into the pure definition of what it means to be free. The stadium was doused in black, but I just kept leaping through the adventurous safety of liberation, my toes speaking to the earth, my soul beating to the rhythm of the world’s cadence. I collapsed next to my best friend, and we sent laughter to the stars. There we lay in partnered solitude as the clock approached midnight, allowing the delicate gusts of wind to kiss our skin and dance in our hair. The night had released us. I closed my eyes and felt the Earth, imprinted into the curve of my back, and breathed a sigh of blissful contentment. I looked over.
“These are the moments we live for.”
She could only nod.

TheSweetNerd said...
Apr. 12, 2011 at 7:26 am
This is beautiful, you are very descriptive with the imagery and the emotions that are felt, its profound and amazing. Post some more stuff and I'll gladly read them :)

lucybrown97 said...
Apr. 10, 2011 at 6:17 am

This is beautiful!  You capture so many details and emotions in just this short piece.  You have an excellent choice of vocabulary-I wouldn't change anything. 

Keep it up!  :D

PJD17 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
you did an absolutly incredible job of describing the scenery, painting a very vivid picture for the reader  very impressive  keep up the good work!

beach replied...
This is just amazing, absolutely amazing, it is captivating and beautiful and oh!