Journey to a Ditch!

“Hey Esteban, do you want to go to Marshalltown with me?” asked my brother Adrian.

“Umm, what are you going for?” I replied.

“I need to get some supplies from Wal-Mart and Auto Zone,” said Adrian.

“Alright i will go with you bro,” I said.

We enter my brother’s vehicle outside the house. While being outside I noticed it looked bad out, wind is blowing snow across the roads and drifts starting to form. I figured it was just another day in winter, not really thinking much about the weather.
“Let’s listen to some music bro,” I requested.
“Alright, here are some cd’s choose one,” said Adrian.
“Okay, how much longer till we get to Marshalltown?” I said.
“Like ten minutes at this speed,” said Adrian.
“Better watch out for drifts I am going to laugh if we hit one,” I said.
“Yah than we would be screwed,” said Adrian.

Luckily for me I had spoken too soon. We come across a hill, as we go up it a tall drift formed at the top of the hill. We did not notice the other drift right behind the first drift; this is where it went bad. My brother hit the first drift, swerving on the road; once he corrected the car we hit the second drift. This one shot us straight into the ditch. The car ended up stopping at a tilt in the ditch because all the snow got compressed together.

“Holy shit, what just happened?” I shouted.

“We’re in the ditch, we hit two humongous drifts,” said Adrian.

“Well that’s great how are we supposed to get out now!” I complained.

“I don’t know but we will have to call dad or mom, they can come get us,” hinted Adrian.

That is a quick simple snapshot that I will always remember second by second when I drive past the hill. We never did go to Marshalltown that day; I guess this journey was never meant to happen.