The Material Things | Teen Ink

The Material Things

February 18, 2011
By rosawrites BRONZE, Lexington Ky, Kentucky
rosawrites BRONZE, Lexington Ky, Kentucky
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
"Go Hard, or Go Home!"


Why do our parents always tell us, “It’s not the material things that matter in life, it’s who you are.”? That’s an obvious confidence builder. The truth is the material things are about all that matter in this society. It’s harsh, but true. We like to blame certain people for this kind of judgment, like jocks and preps. But that’s just plain unfair to them, because it’s ALL of us. Sadly but surely, we’re all guilty of “judging a book by its cover.”

For example, if I was the nicest person in the whole world, but dressed in rags and was very unkempt, you (no matter who YOU are) probably wouldn’t want a thing to do with me. But if I was dressed head to toe in American Eagle, and had perfectly pinned hair, you’d have no problem accepting me. At my school, you’ve got to have a pair of UGGS, jeans galore, and at least something Aeropastle to qualify. And on top of that, you have to be willing to openly speak your mind, and pretty much be loud and obnoxious. So of course I qualify. And I see so many people that just don’t qualify and I wonder why. Like the smart girls, who will always let you copy their homework. Or those guys who always have something stupid to say.

Sometimes at lunch I look around and observe. I hear my friends who have something mean to say for every occasion, and then I look and see those nerdy girls who wouldn’t even call a fly annoying. Again I wonder why I’m not sitting with them? Why is it that we just don’t click? Then it hits me. It’s the material things. They classify us; specify us as if we’re animals in the Amazon forest. It’s like we’re being brainwashed to only hang out with people who are just like us. I shiver every time I think about. Are my friends only my friends because I qualify? I guess I’ll never know. At least not until someone breaks the curse.


The author's comments:
From this article I hope people think more about who they truly are. I've been thinking alot about who I truly am and who my friends are. Hopefully you realize that we treat people a certain way because of a first impression (how you look) and it's just not fair. We need to give people a chance.