Appreciating My Sister | Teen Ink

Appreciating My Sister

February 18, 2011
By DeadlyHunter BRONZE, Los Angeles, Other
DeadlyHunter BRONZE, Los Angeles, Other
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

January 27, 2011
Dear Jennifer,

I’m your older brother, but I’ve never really told you that I love you. I remember when we used to be mean to each other, but now I’m glad we’re not like that anymore. Now, when I think of you, I smile because you are my only sister and I’m lucky to have you. As my sister, I want you to know that I’m sorry for all the stuff I did to you in the past. I ask myself, “Will you ever forgive me...?”

Looking back four years ago, when we lived on Beacon Avenue near Tenth Street Elementary School, you and I didn’t always get along. Maybe it’s because you’re a year younger than me. We sometimes argued and fought for the smallest reasons. We would easily get mad at each other and sometimes, we even argued with our parents.

One time, when I was about 7 and you were 6, we got into a conflict over the remote control because we both wanted to watch different shows. You were sitting on the couch happily and I just walked in and quickly grabbed the remote from your hand. We both struggled to get control. Eventually, I won the struggle and changed the channel so that I could watch my favorite program, Power Rangers. Suddenly, you yelled angrily for our mom saying that I hit you. I sat on the couch watching you get as mad as a lion, missing your favorite program, Sesame Street.

Moments later, my mom came in the room. She was upset and yelled, “Why are you shouting so frantically? The people from the apartment next door will think that I am hitting you!”
Once she said that, I confessed that I had hit you. She got so mad that she turned off the television. For a moment, I stayed quiet and upset because I didn't get to see the rest of my show. My mom grew up in Mexico and she has always held very strong beliefs about her religion. She is usually a nice and calm person to others, until they get her upset, she can turn into a whole different person. She’s always telling us that she wants the best for us and that’s why she doesn’t like seeing us fight.

Jennifer, years have passed and we get along better now. However, sometimes we still get a little out of control. For example, on Saturday mornings around 9:00 a.m., when you help my mom around the house, you get upset and hate when our older brother, Jose, and I don’t help you. I usually get you frustrated when I try to play tag with you and you are busy with your chores.

I call you “loser” and you get mad and call me a names like “dummy” and “four eyes”. I feel really bad when you say those things. Another reason we have problems is because when I am mad, I tend to take things out on you. I treat you like you are a little animal that I can control. Sometimes, I tell my parents that you call me names, even when you don’t, just to get you in trouble. I feel bad about that now.

I don’t want to take out my anger on you anymore. I should be able to talk to you and ask you to leave me alone in a calm manner until I feel better. I don’t want to be mean to you anymore because it upsets me. Sometimes I feel bad about the stuff I have said and done to you. My family says I don’t like to show my real feelings for you because if I did, then I would think twice before I make you mad or make you cry.

I have come to learn to respect you and to love you as a little sister. One time when I was a year older, I had a bad day at school; some kids were teasing me. When you saw that I was upset, you asked me, “What’s wrong?”

I told you what happened. You gave me a friendly hug and that made me feel better. You always give me hugs and make me smile when I get upset about something.

Jennifer, I need you as a sister and a friend. Most importantly, I have learned that you need me as a big brother. As a big brother, I will protect you from anyone who tries to harm you. Not only do we have the same blood, but we are both growing up in the same family. We are always together through the good and bad times. We will always look out for each other, no matter what happens. We will always be together as family.

I hope that everyone out there who has a brother or a sister can learn to respect them because you might need them someday in the future. If something were to happen to them, you would regret treating them badly; so don’t do something you’ll regret.! Be a loving brother or sister.




With Love,


Your Brother,
P.S. I love you. (You know that, right?)