Addiction | Teen Ink

Addiction

My definition of addiction: A overwhelming need to do something constantly; to me addiction is my least favorite word.
Before I never thought anything of addiction, but how was i to know that I'd be dealing with addiction in my life, a very big part of my life. How was i supposed to know my own flesh and blood was to marry a drug addict. I wasn't, because it wasn't supposed to happen. Its not supposed to be like it is.
I'm 15 living with a drug addict that I'm only related to by marriage. I'm raising myself, and I have been for the past few years. Although everyday is a struggle, I keep a smile on my face. Because what can I do anymore? I've reached out, I've talked about it, there's nothing i can do anymore. And to think that my own father doesn't care enough about me to let me get out, he can escape, but why can't I? He's in denial about her addiction, She's in denial about it too. I mean sure I have a great family and a great father, don't get me wrong but sometimes things go wrong. Sometimes people get addicted. I shouldn't have to go to bed wondering when I wake up if I'm going to find her dead, laying there.
No one should ever have to do that. I know that everything has a reason, and that the strong times make you stronger but I don't know how strong I can be. These past few years are making me along with breaking me. I've fallen, I've lost myself, I've been broken, I've been complete... but I've never been happy. That's all I strive to be, but is that to much to ask for? God made us to be happy, so why can't I be?
Addiction: It can ruin your life.

"You never know how strong you are until being strong is your only choice."