"Love Thy Neighbor As Thy Self" | Teen Ink

"Love Thy Neighbor As Thy Self"

February 10, 2011
By Graciegirl BRONZE, Lexington, Kentucky
Graciegirl BRONZE, Lexington, Kentucky
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"A laugh is an instant vacation."


Everyone will hear the saying “love thy neighbor as thy self” at least once in his or her lives. Whether it is in school, church, home, or on T.V we all know what it basically means. To be nice and compassionate, but when that girl with pimples and frizzy hair walks by what do you say to the person next to you?

It is hard to imagine a world without judgment. No enemies, cliques, or bullying. To be honest it may be a little boring. When you think about it you would not have much to talk about. I always try not to judge but it human nature. Everyone judges at sometime or another. You may deny it but it is true.

I am for sure not innocent in this field. I pass judgment all the time even if I am not thinking about it. When I analyze these thoughts I just feel awful. What if someone is saying that about me? I would be crushed.

Some of the coolest people I know don’t judge a book by its cover. They feel no need to bully because they want to be friends with everyone and everyone want to be friends with them. They are diamonds in rough. They just shine. Why can’t we all be that way? Why can’t we live by one of the most common rules on earth?

Bullying like you see on T.V. may not seem so realistic but do you consider things you say behind peoples back bullying. I do. Sometime it will come around to that person and it will most likely be blown far out of proportion.

I am not saying to stop these behaviors because that would be nearly impossible. All I am saying is to think of the rule “love thy neighbor as thy self” before you pass judgment. It is one of the hardest things to do but we have to make a change. Be a friend to everyone. Become a diamond and shine.