The Skirt This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

I will be the first to say that I am not materialistic. My friends label me as a goody-goody; my parents say I am conservative and modest when it comes to clothes. I don’t wear bikinis, and none of my skirts or shorts end above my knees. That is my choice.

So why, why did I feel so tempted? My family and I were in Target, and there it was, waiting. A skirt, specifically designed not to cover anything. It was tan and looked like something one of those anime schoolgirls would wear.

I checked my purse. The skirt cost $10. I had the money. I could buy it. I imagined walking into school and my pals’ jaws dropping. Guys would ask me out, and I would be happy. I could buy it – no, I should buy it.

I showed my mother. She was surprised but said it was my decision. My sister looked on enviously.

I went into the dressing room to try it on. So sure was I that this skirt would change me, somehow make me not what I am but what I wished to be. I slid my jeans off and put it on. Now for the decisive moment. I looked in the mirror. There I was – a geeky girl in a Superman T-shirt and sneakers. My glasses fogged up as I started to cry.

The skirt did not change me. Though it fit well and might make me look good in the eyes of ­today’s world, it was not me. I am not a girl who flirts or wears cool clothes to fit in.

I took the thing off and slid back into the ­comfort of modesty. My mom knocked on the door. “Emily, are you okay?”

I wiped away my tears. “I’m fine.” I looked in the ­mirror again and saw a blond skinny girl with dorky ­glasses and a ponytail. I saw myself.

advanced in most said...
Nov. 5, 2010 at 8:01 am:

That was soooooooo amazing!I love how you told your story truthfully and without shame. Congradulations for staying true to your self.

Stay You.

Reese-Cup said...
Nov. 1, 2010 at 11:35 am:
i love this..it was amazing

Berta said...
Nice job!!  I can really feel what you felt because of your word choice and description.  Awesome!

sdfgsdfgsdfg said...
Im not gonna lie i cried

cierrasmythThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...

i really like this story. well written and the actually story is really powerful. 

awesome :)

Roisin This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Oct. 27, 2010 at 11:58 am:
this is really creative, to think of something so different. i really like it. did you just think of it, or did something inspire you ? (: fabulous!:D

Roisin This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Oct. 27, 2010 at 12:00 pm :
i take that back, i do believe i meant to click on "fiction", but clearly this is a true story, therefore i assume any inspiration came from reality.. please ignore my previous comment, still an excellent job though! (:

SHANIECE F. said...
Oct. 27, 2010 at 11:53 am:
Why dont you like to dress in things above your knee-caps

redhairCat This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...

Really good article!

J.Bee replied...
Oct. 27, 2010 at 11:35 am :
This is really good! I know the exact feeling of how people perseve you as. It's the same for me. I like the way it was written. very good!

vetttooo said...
Oct. 20, 2010 at 7:35 am:
umm good job on makeing the right choice but why cry i dint get that part of it i mean okur not the girl to wear that stuff and theres nothing wrong with that but why the tears

Lollypops replied...
Nov. 1, 2010 at 11:50 am :
loll your nice ^_^

GothChik95This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Jan. 1, 2011 at 2:09 pm :
lol so sweet there!

Bibbobbeep said...
Oct. 13, 2010 at 11:00 am:
I'm glad that you made a right choice. this writing was very good and i enjoyed reading about your experiences

vietnamesequinn said...
Oct. 13, 2010 at 11:00 am:
exactly wat  tiedyelaine123 said if its not you then its  not you be yourself

tiedyeelaine123 said...
Oct. 13, 2010 at 9:25 am:
It's good to know that you are content with being yourself.

akatheshizz said...
Oct. 13, 2010 at 9:21 am:
dont be afraid to be yourself. Nothing is more imoprtant. Dont let "the skirt" phase you or let insecruties either(:

nillahershey said...
Yes, I couldn't agree more. There's nothing wrong with being different. Never be afraid to be yourself; there is nothing to be ashamed of. Don't be a follower-- be a leader!

choirchick2013 said...
kudos to you for just being yourself, even if its not cool... i know wat u mean... i was tempted to try to fit in too, then i thought "is it worth it??" i found it wasnt, and u did too... dont change urself to please anyone but urself...

Thrush said...
This is amazing. I love it.