The Skirt This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

I will be the first to say that I am not materialistic. My friends label me as a goody-goody; my parents say I am conservative and modest when it comes to clothes. I don’t wear bikinis, and none of my skirts or shorts end above my knees. That is my choice.

So why, why did I feel so tempted? My family and I were in Target, and there it was, waiting. A skirt, specifically designed not to cover anything. It was tan and looked like something one of those anime schoolgirls would wear.

I checked my purse. The skirt cost $10. I had the money. I could buy it. I imagined walking into school and my pals’ jaws dropping. Guys would ask me out, and I would be happy. I could buy it – no, I should buy it.

I showed my mother. She was surprised but said it was my decision. My sister looked on enviously.

I went into the dressing room to try it on. So sure was I that this skirt would change me, somehow make me not what I am but what I wished to be. I slid my jeans off and put it on. Now for the decisive moment. I looked in the mirror. There I was – a geeky girl in a Superman T-shirt and sneakers. My glasses fogged up as I started to cry.

The skirt did not change me. Though it fit well and might make me look good in the eyes of ­today’s world, it was not me. I am not a girl who flirts or wears cool clothes to fit in.

I took the thing off and slid back into the ­comfort of modesty. My mom knocked on the door. “Emily, are you okay?”

I wiped away my tears. “I’m fine.” I looked in the ­mirror again and saw a blond skinny girl with dorky ­glasses and a ponytail. I saw myself.

mirandarousee! said...
this was so familiar, I know that I will never feel right in a miniskirt and halter top, I feel comfortable in jean shorts and a tee shirt, it's just me. this story made me relize I don't have to be like everybody else, thanks, this story really helped.

mc112 replied...
Sept. 22, 2011 at 11:08 am
that was really awsome

claire126 said...
this is such an honest piece. It was so real, it almost brought me to tears. I loved this

RainyWriter This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Very honest, and what I like is that it tells the reader you can hope to be someone, but you won't necessarily become that someone. Many girls think this, and in my opinion try too hard to be like the glitzy celebs on TV and stuff. Short and swee, I liked it!

PoetLaureate07 replied...
i like it.. a lot.. great way to describe urself and feelings... wonderful!

GothChik95 said...
I think alot of girls have been through this same situation. it was just great. keep writing!!

Freedom_Cow said...
This is a great article that a lot of girls go though when growing up. Thanks for writing it.

Elizabeth_DayThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Freedom_Cow, you have, quite possibly, the awesomest screen name I have seen on Teen Ink... or anywhere else.

Freedom_Cow replied...

Thanks!

It was inspired be a video I found of a rescued bull dancing to the song "Joy to the World" that was being played to him at a Farm Sanctuary. 

That changed the way I look at a lot of different things.

Sir Geeks-a-lot said...
Jan. 1, 2011 at 8:45 am
Great article, can't say I'm unfamiliar with that situation.

Mohammed H. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jan. 1, 2011 at 1:29 am
I love it. Hey now, you may be a "girl with dorky glases and a ponytail", but you definitely know how to write. =)

Eheu... said...
Jan. 1, 2011 at 12:55 am
this has been me sooo many times....

Anime_lover7 said...
Dec. 31, 2010 at 12:49 am
wow! great! its amazing that you didnt fall into the trap of american lifestyle! HIGH FIVE! ~high fives you!~

. said...
loved it amazing

FlawlessLawlessThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
this is sooooo good! i can realte!!! :)

dolphin13 said...
Wow, this is so amazing! I can relate completely. Sometimes you want to be someone you are not so that you can be noticed, but it just doesn't work. Great Job!

reenay_95 said...
i like how you really found yourself in this situation. you've got to be yourself (:

Jfw514 said...
I can relate to this so well. My friends call me the same names. I like myself as you do. Do not care what other people think! Keep your head held high. You are beautiful the way you are.

BistyBoo2 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Dec. 10, 2010 at 9:29 am
That was absolutely beautiful. I am also a very modest dresserand I understand the temptation to break the barrier of modesty. You have inner beauty and I'm sure all those un-modestly dressing girls are jealous! <3

Lucky707 said...
Um i think a man liking you for your looks is not a good thing because the person dosent love you he just loves the temptation of your body. The whole point is that you want someone to love you for who you are not for something you only see in movies. But if you have patients then soon  you will find what you are looking for. Goodluck:)

SweetCakes said...
i looove itttttt <3 :)