The Skirt This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

I will be the first to say that I am not materialistic. My friends label me as a goody-goody; my parents say I am conservative and modest when it comes to clothes. I don’t wear bikinis, and none of my skirts or shorts end above my knees. That is my choice.

So why, why did I feel so tempted? My family and I were in Target, and there it was, waiting. A skirt, specifically designed not to cover anything. It was tan and looked like something one of those anime schoolgirls would wear.

I checked my purse. The skirt cost $10. I had the money. I could buy it. I imagined walking into school and my pals’ jaws dropping. Guys would ask me out, and I would be happy. I could buy it – no, I should buy it.

I showed my mother. She was surprised but said it was my decision. My sister looked on enviously.

I went into the dressing room to try it on. So sure was I that this skirt would change me, somehow make me not what I am but what I wished to be. I slid my jeans off and put it on. Now for the decisive moment. I looked in the mirror. There I was – a geeky girl in a Superman T-shirt and sneakers. My glasses fogged up as I started to cry.

The skirt did not change me. Though it fit well and might make me look good in the eyes of ­today’s world, it was not me. I am not a girl who flirts or wears cool clothes to fit in.

I took the thing off and slid back into the ­comfort of modesty. My mom knocked on the door. “Emily, are you okay?”

I wiped away my tears. “I’m fine.” I looked in the ­mirror again and saw a blond skinny girl with dorky ­glasses and a ponytail. I saw myself.

Sir Geeks-a-lot said...
Jan. 1, 2011 at 8:45 am:
Great article, can't say I'm unfamiliar with that situation.

Mohammed H. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jan. 1, 2011 at 1:29 am:
I love it. Hey now, you may be a "girl with dorky glases and a ponytail", but you definitely know how to write. =)

Eheu... said...
Jan. 1, 2011 at 12:55 am:
this has been me sooo many times....

Anime_lover7 said...
Dec. 31, 2010 at 12:49 am:
wow! great! its amazing that you didnt fall into the trap of american lifestyle! HIGH FIVE! ~high fives you!~

. said...
loved it amazing

FlawlessLawless said...
this is sooooo good! i can realte!!! :)

dolphin13 said...
Wow, this is so amazing! I can relate completely. Sometimes you want to be someone you are not so that you can be noticed, but it just doesn't work. Great Job!

reenay_95 said...
i like how you really found yourself in this situation. you've got to be yourself (:

Jfw514 said...
I can relate to this so well. My friends call me the same names. I like myself as you do. Do not care what other people think! Keep your head held high. You are beautiful the way you are.

BistyBoo2This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Dec. 10, 2010 at 9:29 am:
That was absolutely beautiful. I am also a very modest dresserand I understand the temptation to break the barrier of modesty. You have inner beauty and I'm sure all those un-modestly dressing girls are jealous! <3

Lucky707 said...
Um i think a man liking you for your looks is not a good thing because the person dosent love you he just loves the temptation of your body. The whole point is that you want someone to love you for who you are not for something you only see in movies. But if you have patients then soon  you will find what you are looking for. Goodluck:)

SweetCakes said...
i looove itttttt <3 :)

kriley8404 said...

I spent most of my life feeling the same way as you, but more like my every choice was split bettween right and wrong and sometimes i wanted both. you may not know it now, but sooner or later you'll find that nothing matters more than you liking what you say you like. as long as it is for you and you alone. there is something very powerful about doing things for yourself. if you like the skirt, wear the skirt with confidence and when you look in the mirror, see your face because it's beautifu... (more »)

Laylay said...

this was such an amzing article!! i totally understand because i have also been tempted in the same way. its wonderful that you want people to look at you as a person and a soul, and not as a body.

great job!

OriginalCarbonation replied...
Nov. 30, 2010 at 7:29 pm :
exactly my comments. thank you for capturing that concept. i wish more girls knew it wasnt "her" to wear some of the cool things. very good

GothChik95This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Jan. 1, 2011 at 2:06 pm :
I think alot of us have all beeb through the sam situation at some point in our lives...and it helps us to see that you don't have to be one of those girls with the bleach blonde hair and thick makeup with super short skirts and very revealing tops. You can be modest and be one of the most confident people in that high school. or anywhere else.

OriginalCarbonation replied...
Jan. 1, 2011 at 2:21 pm :

yes exactly!

just figure out what is "you" and dont ever question it again. just go with it. then you are confident and beautiful and radiant. it all just adds up to make a really good thing :)

Somer This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
very sincere 

babydizzle said...
Nov. 29, 2010 at 7:43 am:
GIRL! I was all like, thats crazy! That skirt is da bomb! U was all like, " I not dat tipe," and im all like, "shut yo mouth!"

Openbook.A replied...
May 4, 2011 at 6:18 pm :

hahahaha you talk funny :D in a good way :P