The Skirt This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

I will be the first to say that I am not materialistic. My friends label me as a goody-goody; my parents say I am conservative and modest when it comes to clothes. I don’t wear bikinis, and none of my skirts or shorts end above my knees. That is my choice.

So why, why did I feel so tempted? My family and I were in Target, and there it was, waiting. A skirt, specifically designed not to cover anything. It was tan and looked like something one of those anime schoolgirls would wear.

I checked my purse. The skirt cost $10. I had the money. I could buy it. I imagined walking into school and my pals’ jaws dropping. Guys would ask me out, and I would be happy. I could buy it – no, I should buy it.

I showed my mother. She was surprised but said it was my decision. My sister looked on enviously.

I went into the dressing room to try it on. So sure was I that this skirt would change me, somehow make me not what I am but what I wished to be. I slid my jeans off and put it on. Now for the decisive moment. I looked in the mirror. There I was – a geeky girl in a Superman T-shirt and sneakers. My glasses fogged up as I started to cry.

The skirt did not change me. Though it fit well and might make me look good in the eyes of ­today’s world, it was not me. I am not a girl who flirts or wears cool clothes to fit in.

I took the thing off and slid back into the ­comfort of modesty. My mom knocked on the door. “Emily, are you okay?”

I wiped away my tears. “I’m fine.” I looked in the ­mirror again and saw a blond skinny girl with dorky ­glasses and a ponytail. I saw myself.

Rozaa said...
Being yourself is always the best thing. you would be suprised at how many boys secretly like you even if your not cool or popular.

FlyleafFreak replied...
Jan. 27, 2011 at 9:55 pm :
Wow, it must of took alot of courage to write this. I feel the same way. I know a lot of guys who look for a girls personality more so over her looks. Great job, you go girl

seriouswritersblock replied...
Feb. 14, 2011 at 7:00 pm :

I thought changing my look would make me different.  Truthfully, it made me look weird and awkward.  I wore all kinds of colors and designs.  I went back to my plain black and gray shirts and I felt, well, like me.  I may not be the kind of girl who has 30 boyfriends in a week and looks like a cardboard cutout, but I am me.  Your article made me happy to see that I am not the only nonconformist.  Thank you!

FlyleafFreak replied...
Feb. 14, 2011 at 7:13 pm :
Lol sure anytime. Yeah, and I'd rather be the girl who doesn't date many boys and gets married for life instead of the one who dates 30 boys and goes through like 10 divorces because she was never in a relationship long enough to know what she needed/wanted.

AnarchyIsMyFriend replied...
Feb. 14, 2011 at 7:47 pm :
I know right!

Alia_Tan said...
Great Job! I know exactly how you feel!

StormlilyThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Oct. 14, 2011 at 8:24 am :
I love this, really similar to what I'm like

prophetic_priestess said...
This really is amazing. I can honestly relate, and the temptation really is always there, the want to fit in and be popular.

SyddieG said...

I just find this beautiful. I can honestly relate (along with 5 billion other people). Trying to break out of your box is extremely hard and can be impossible. I myself (I know you don't want to hear about myself but I have nothing else to put here) am forced by myself to stifle a certain part of me. I'm doing better anyway but still. I can get an subscription to seventeen magazine but I can't tell my friends. Girl, you had more courage than I would have. I wouldn't have even tried the skirt ... (more »)

twin2 said...
This is beautiful. just the way you composed your words together flowed.. and all the honesty shined through this work... Amazing.

BlankPage said...
Jan. 23, 2011 at 9:00 am:
That was really good , stay true to yourself :]

mirandarousee! said...
this was so familiar, I know that I will never feel right in a miniskirt and halter top, I feel comfortable in jean shorts and a tee shirt, it's just me. this story made me relize I don't have to be like everybody else, thanks, this story really helped.

mc112 replied...
Sept. 22, 2011 at 11:08 am :
that was really awsome

claire126 said...
this is such an honest piece. It was so real, it almost brought me to tears. I loved this

RainyWriter This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Very honest, and what I like is that it tells the reader you can hope to be someone, but you won't necessarily become that someone. Many girls think this, and in my opinion try too hard to be like the glitzy celebs on TV and stuff. Short and swee, I liked it!

PoetLaureate07 replied...
Jan. 1, 2011 at 6:14 pm :
i like it.. a lot.. great way to describe urself and feelings... wonderful!

GothChik95This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
I think alot of girls have been through this same situation. it was just great. keep writing!!

Freedom_Cow said...
This is a great article that a lot of girls go though when growing up. Thanks for writing it.

Elizabeth_DayThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Feb. 14, 2011 at 11:12 pm :
Freedom_Cow, you have, quite possibly, the awesomest screen name I have seen on Teen Ink... or anywhere else.

Freedom_Cow replied...
Feb. 15, 2011 at 6:27 pm :

Thanks!

It was inspired be a video I found of a rescued bull dancing to the song "Joy to the World" that was being played to him at a Farm Sanctuary. 

That changed the way I look at a lot of different things.