The Skirt MAG

By EmilytheAuthor DIAMOND, St. Francisville, Louisiana
EmilytheAuthor DIAMOND, St. Francisville, Louisiana

Be who you are and say what you feel because those that mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind. -dr. seuss

I will be the first to say that I am not materialistic. My friends label me as a goody-goody; my parents say I am conservative and modest when it comes to clothes. I don’t wear bikinis, and none of my skirts or shorts end above my knees. That is my choice.

So why, why did I feel so tempted? My family and I were in Target, and there it was, waiting. A skirt, specifically designed not to cover anything. It was tan and looked like something one of those anime schoolgirls would wear.

I checked my purse. The skirt cost $10. I had the money. I could buy it. I imagined walking into school and my pals’ jaws dropping. Guys would ask me out, and I would be happy. I could buy it – no, I should buy it.

I showed my mother. She was surprised but said it was my decision. My sister looked on enviously.

I went into the dressing room to try it on. So sure was I that this skirt would change me, somehow make me not what I am but what I wished to be. I slid my jeans off and put it on. Now for the decisive moment. I looked in the mirror. There I was – a geeky girl in a Superman T-shirt and sneakers. My glasses fogged up as I started to cry.

The skirt did not change me. Though it fit well and might make me look good in the eyes of ­today’s world, it was not me. I am not a girl who flirts or wears cool clothes to fit in.

I took the thing off and slid back into the ­comfort of modesty. My mom knocked on the door. “Emily, are you okay?”

I wiped away my tears. “I’m fine.” I looked in the ­mirror again and saw a blond skinny girl with dorky ­glasses and a ponytail. I saw myself.

on Nov. 5 2011 at 10:57 pm
pageturner PLATINUM, Brooklyn, New York

It's okay to daydream.. just as long as you get to do some of those daydreams.

I personally don't see that many stereotypes in my school, but I like your article.

on Nov. 5 2011 at 9:08 pm
SofiaPheonix BRONZE, Blanding, Utah

Everyone wants happiness, No one wants pain, but you cant make a rainbow without a little rain.

I loved this and really connected to it. Its actually pretty hard to get me to feel the emotions a piece is supposed to portrey, but you did a fantastic job and I really felt it. Great Job keep writing.

dawnof17 said...
on Nov. 5 2011 at 8:50 am
I used to be awkward. I thot if I could only be friends with these certain girls, life would be tops. Suddenly I found myself accepted with those very girls, and it was not what I had been expecting. I felt better, simply because I came out of myself, and simply was me, but I found that "the top" was not with those girls, but in being who I am and loving it. You can't have fun being someone else. You don't feel free that way.

on Oct. 17 2011 at 12:37 pm
Kayroxy101 GOLD, Ringwood, New Jersey

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference." ~ Robert Frost

"I decided a while ago not to deny myself the simpler pleasures of existence."~ Augustus Waters, The Fault in Our Stars

This is lovely. It made me happy knowing that out there there are still people who be who they want to be and don't care about what other people think or what the Norm is :)

Naomi518 GOLD said...
on Oct. 14 2011 at 1:56 pm
Naomi518 GOLD, Windsor, Connecticut

"Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light" ~Albus Dumbledore

I totally agree! I'm much more attracted to nerds :P

on Oct. 14 2011 at 8:24 am
Eshshah PLATINUM, Galloway, New Jersey

"The woods are lovely, dark and deep. But I have promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep." -Robert Frost

I love this, really similar to what I'm like

on Sep. 26 2011 at 3:39 pm
clumsyteardropper SILVER, Roslyn, Pennsylvania

"You can't help others, if you yourself need help" -my sister ;) love it!

i'm sorry to all you "i think i'm so hot" peeps and really popular jocks who are in the IN crowd...... but just saying my personal opinion... dorks, geeks, nerds and such are just SO hot ;)  DONT BE ANYONE BUT YOU!!! becuz no one does it better

on Sep. 22 2011 at 4:34 pm
selenafan1 BRONZE, Freeport, Texas

" Friendship is like peeing your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel it's warmth"
"Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius, and it is better to be absolutley ridiculous than absolutley boring"-Marilyn Monroe

omg this is so awesome wow so inspirational

on Sep. 22 2011 at 4:31 pm
Tcoolgirl BRONZE, San Tan Valley, Arizona

"Watch your thoughts, they become words. Watch you words, they become actions. Watch your actions, they become you. Watch yourself, you affect others."

I must say that I'm wearing a super girl T-shirt and sneakers right now, but i am AWESOME. Lol, but I like your article. It makes a very good point, someone shouldnt wear something that is not them just to impress other people.

on Sep. 22 2011 at 2:57 pm
lzcelloplayer BRONZE, Wayland, Massachusetts

"It seems that we all look at Nature too much, and live with her too little." ~ Oscar Wilde

I enjoyed reading this, and it sends a good message out there, that you should be who you want to be and not be pressured by anything to be someone else just to fit in with the crowd. 

on Sep. 22 2011 at 12:30 pm
PeachyKeen2 BRONZE, Greensboro, North Carolina
I agree. Completely. I do not like how the world seems to always need/want to shape and make people into something we are not. I love this peice. So good. So true.

mc112 said...
on Sep. 22 2011 at 11:08 am
that was really awsome

on Sep. 20 2011 at 6:39 am
IAmWhoIWantToBe PLATINUM, Manila, Other

‎"I’m learning how to drown out the constant noise that is such an inseparable part of my life. I don’t have to prove anything to anyone. I only have to follow my heart and concentrate on what I want to say to the world: I run my world." - Beyoncé

I'd be myself. I like this article. So simple but inspiring.

on Aug. 31 2011 at 9:29 am
You are an inspiration! If only more teenage girls thought that way.

on Aug. 17 2011 at 8:52 am
K.M.S.Shear BRONZE, Cherokee, Iowa

"Some people think writing is a waist of their time. For me it’s a way to draw an image of myself through the painting of words."

Great job just being yourself.

on Aug. 9 2011 at 6:23 pm
Laura_Oliver GOLD, Manchester, Connecticut
Yes bar notation

on Aug. 9 2011 at 6:22 pm
This is a terrific piece! I dress the same way, with shorts and t-shirts all the time (once I was mistaken for a boy, and I just showed them my braid), and while I have never felt the need to buy any of those short skirts or shorts, I agree that you should just dress the way you want to and not feel pressured to follow others in their fashion statements. Be happy about it, too!

on Aug. 9 2011 at 4:14 pm
Lola_Black GOLD, Harrison, Michigan

"I've always been famous. It's just everybody's just now finding out." --Lady Gaga

Wonderfull! It's way easier just to be yourself and be happy with yourself, isn't it? By the way, buying the skirt wouldn't have changed anything. I know. I used to dress conservatively, as your parents would say, but that was just out of low self esteem. One day, I went ahead and bought a pair of short shorts even though I thought my legs were too fat. Now, I still wear shorts and I love my body, but I digress. That was I change I made for myself. The most I got from everyone else was, "You rock those shorts!" and then everybody stopped caring the next day. So, all the skirt would have done for you was make you feel like your soul had just been sold. Life would not have been infinately better. In truth, if you want to change your wardrobe, do it for yourself and nobody else.

Sayuri97 GOLD said...
on Aug. 9 2011 at 11:29 am
Sayuri97 GOLD, Gilford, New Hampshire
Go geekiness!!! :) 

GaelicC said...
on Aug. 9 2011 at 3:33 am
GaelicC, Longford, Other

No -Rosa Parks

Its so much easier being yourself rather than someone your not. I love this five stars!

SciArc

MacMillan Books

Aspiring Writer? Take Our Online Course!