The Skirt This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

I will be the first to say that I am not materialistic. My friends label me as a goody-goody; my parents say I am conservative and modest when it comes to clothes. I don’t wear bikinis, and none of my skirts or shorts end above my knees. That is my choice.

So why, why did I feel so tempted? My family and I were in Target, and there it was, waiting. A skirt, specifically designed not to cover anything. It was tan and looked like something one of those anime schoolgirls would wear.

I checked my purse. The skirt cost $10. I had the money. I could buy it. I imagined walking into school and my pals’ jaws dropping. Guys would ask me out, and I would be happy. I could buy it – no, I should buy it.

I showed my mother. She was surprised but said it was my decision. My sister looked on enviously.

I went into the dressing room to try it on. So sure was I that this skirt would change me, somehow make me not what I am but what I wished to be. I slid my jeans off and put it on. Now for the decisive moment. I looked in the mirror. There I was – a geeky girl in a Superman T-shirt and sneakers. My glasses fogged up as I started to cry.

The skirt did not change me. Though it fit well and might make me look good in the eyes of ­today’s world, it was not me. I am not a girl who flirts or wears cool clothes to fit in.

I took the thing off and slid back into the ­comfort of modesty. My mom knocked on the door. “Emily, are you okay?”

I wiped away my tears. “I’m fine.” I looked in the ­mirror again and saw a blond skinny girl with dorky ­glasses and a ponytail. I saw myself.

f1ndmycure2013 said...
Jun. 4, 2011 at 5:55 am:
I am a girl who does wear short skirts, but I don't do it for the benefit of others. I do it because I like how I look. I'm happy with it. Just like your happy wearing longer skirts and shorts. There's nothing wrong with it. That being said, I love your story. Very thought provoking and sincere. :)

maddiefacecupcake said...
May 23, 2011 at 7:01 pm:
i loved it! i like that it was just a short blurb, but still shows a lot of feeling and thought. I think that every girl goes through this, wheather she realises it, or gives in to what she's not. and sometimes, it IS who they are, not what they become....

JoPepperThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
May 20, 2011 at 5:19 pm:
I'm too scared to wear really short stuff.  Personally I think my legs are a little big.  My mom said they aren't though, plus I feel like everyone's staring at my but.  I hate that feeling.  I think that everyone can relate to your story though.  I really liked it!!! :)

bookwormjunkie replied...
Jun. 27, 2011 at 7:58 pm :
i know how you feel!!i dont want people staring at my body parts instead of aknowledging my abilites like my writng.being yourself and your personality should come first before anything else.

Openbook.A said...
May 4, 2011 at 6:16 pm:
I wear a lot of short skirts, and shorts, and they ALWAYS go above my thigh. i also have a lot of friend that dress more with longer skirts and shorts. it doesn't matter how you dress, its how you feel about how you dress and how you act about it. I can't could how many girls i know that wear long skirts and are totally hot. HOWEVER your article made me really think about it and i KNOW HOW YOU FEEL, so yeah, keep writing, it was awesome, all the feelings were so clear.

poundz said...

this was great, be true to yourself for your own benefit

browneyedcat said...
Apr. 21, 2011 at 10:39 am:
Man. I thought I was the only one who didn't flaunt their flesh to the world. this is so inspiring. really great job! :D

VanillaDee replied...
May 13, 2011 at 8:06 pm :
I agree with your comment that this is an extremely inspiring story. It made me think twice about the tiniest things - what I wear, how I act - that make me remain true to myself. Good job!

TaylorJade said...
Mar. 30, 2011 at 10:52 pm:
I am a modest person. I don't wear jeans or shorts to school. Only skirts... I have long hair, and I don't cake on make up. Everyone thinks I am the way I am because of my religion. No! I am the way I am because I don't flaunt everything I have just to impress people. If you have to dress a certain way to get peoples' attention, you can forget it... I've realized they aren't good enough for me anyways. So, whether they like it or not, I'll stick with my nerdy self.

alwaysbrokenhearted replied...
Jun. 26, 2011 at 6:04 pm :
stay that way. it's better to be your nerdy and modest self than be a fake wannabe that wants friends. real friends are the ones who except you for you, not for your looks.

TaylorJade replied...
Jun. 26, 2011 at 7:50 pm :
Yeah... I've made the best friends anyone could ask for. So... I refuse to change (:

WriterFlirt32 said...
Mar. 22, 2011 at 12:39 pm:
I know how you feel, I'm stylish, but I still feel like a geek, but we all have our style and clothes we are comfortable in. My question is why change it? You were right not to buy that skirt.

TeamTamani said...
Mar. 8, 2011 at 3:28 pm:
That was so good I loved it!! 

skyblue95This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Mar. 8, 2011 at 12:12 pm:
That was really good :) I smiled when I read it because it's true-you don't have to change the way you look or act just to get attention. It actually reminds me of something I'm going through right now... Awesome work :) Keep writing!

jojo82897 said...
Mar. 8, 2011 at 6:20 am:
I know how you feel.

21311 said...
Feb. 25, 2011 at 1:23 pm:
No one should have to dress a certain way to get attention. People should like each other for being themselves; not a wannabe Barbie in a short skirt. You made the right choice in sticking with what is truly you and being yourself. Sometimes regular jeans and dorky glasses get you further in life than tight clothing.

Rozaa said...
Being yourself is always the best thing. you would be suprised at how many boys secretly like you even if your not cool or popular.

FlyleafFreak replied...
Jan. 27, 2011 at 9:55 pm :
Wow, it must of took alot of courage to write this. I feel the same way. I know a lot of guys who look for a girls personality more so over her looks. Great job, you go girl

seriouswritersblock replied...
Feb. 14, 2011 at 7:00 pm :

I thought changing my look would make me different.  Truthfully, it made me look weird and awkward.  I wore all kinds of colors and designs.  I went back to my plain black and gray shirts and I felt, well, like me.  I may not be the kind of girl who has 30 boyfriends in a week and looks like a cardboard cutout, but I am me.  Your article made me happy to see that I am not the only nonconformist.  Thank you!

FlyleafFreak replied...
Feb. 14, 2011 at 7:13 pm :
Lol sure anytime. Yeah, and I'd rather be the girl who doesn't date many boys and gets married for life instead of the one who dates 30 boys and goes through like 10 divorces because she was never in a relationship long enough to know what she needed/wanted.