The Skirt | Teen Ink

The Skirt MAG

By EmilytheAuthor DIAMOND, St. Francisville, Louisiana
EmilytheAuthor DIAMOND, St. Francisville, Louisiana

Be who you are and say what you feel because those that mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind. -dr. seuss

I will be the first to say that I am not materialistic. My friends label me as a goody-goody; my parents say I am conservative and modest when it comes to clothes. I don’t wear bikinis, and none of my skirts or shorts end above my knees. That is my choice.

So why, why did I feel so tempted? My family and I were in Target, and there it was, waiting. A skirt, specifically designed not to cover anything. It was tan and looked like something one of those anime schoolgirls would wear.

I checked my purse. The skirt cost $10. I had the money. I could buy it. I imagined walking into school and my pals’ jaws dropping. Guys would ask me out, and I would be happy. I could buy it – no, I should buy it.

I showed my mother. She was surprised but said it was my decision. My sister looked on enviously.

I went into the dressing room to try it on. So sure was I that this skirt would change me, somehow make me not what I am but what I wished to be. I slid my jeans off and put it on. Now for the decisive moment. I looked in the mirror. There I was – a geeky girl in a Superman T-shirt and sneakers. My glasses fogged up as I started to cry.

The skirt did not change me. Though it fit well and might make me look good in the eyes of ­today’s world, it was not me. I am not a girl who flirts or wears cool clothes to fit in.

I took the thing off and slid back into the ­comfort of modesty. My mom knocked on the door. “Emily, are you okay?”

I wiped away my tears. “I’m fine.” I looked in the ­mirror again and saw a blond skinny girl with dorky ­glasses and a ponytail. I saw myself.

GodSpell98 GOLD, Lincoln, Nebraska

"THE HUNKY-DORY THING ZAPPED ME!!" or "“We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams”. or anything from Lord of the Rings or Star Trek.

I really connected with this piece! I checked ur profile and we have so much in common, even tho i didn't put a lot of the stuff down. GO LEANORD NIMOY! TREKKIES RULE!!! P.S. whats ur fave episode? I <3 Private Little War (and Chekov) sorry that im being a geek and talkative but I don't get to spaz like this very often! YAY! Anyway, loved the article! And the superman shirt! Woot Woot! 8D!

ModernMissBennet BRONZE, Spanaway, Washington
I really identified with this piece, and I think the writing is great! 

thelostsiren BRONZE, Missouri City, Texas
1 article 0 photos 1 comment
Wow, I loved this. Great job.

livelaughloveeatsoup, Lincoln, Nebraska

"If you're going through hell, keep going."
~Winston Churchill

This was amazing:) good job! :)

Lletya BRONZE said...
Lletya BRONZE, Aurora, Colorado

All we ever wanted you to be, is to be yourself! If everyone leaves the show that night feeling better about themselves, then we did our job. Its a social experiment, slash art project. We're trying to change the world and help alot of people. MCR

I've kinda had the same thing happen.  I try something on, thinking it will be cool, and its just not me.  But, you're you, and thats good.

CandyGirl said...
This was so poetic, towards the end

Michelle.D SILVER, Hemet, California

“You can never solve a problem with the same kind of thinking that created the problem in the first place.”
-Albert Einstein

This was really honest. great job! :)

on Jan. 17 2012 at 11:11 am
Sarbear1995 BRONZE, St. David, Maine

"Its easier to be wise for others them for our selves"

Great job on being yourself, you aren't here to please other people :)

crystalita said...
true this people now on days just do wat their friends do you can see ll the girls wear the same thing

lolzdude said...
I think you mean truthfully, or truly...

lolzdude said...
I can't relate at all b/c I'm cool and good looking... but you write very well. I liked the story.

on Dec. 29 2011 at 8:55 am
beautifulspirit PLATINUM, Alpharetta, Georgia

The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams.
--Eleanor Roosevelt

So open and honest~ This is something that a lot of people think of in the dressing room, but they ignore the thought.

ForeverSweetheart GOLD, Safford, Arizona

"Babe, do what you have to do." -- Ryan M.
"I like nonsense; it wakes up the brain cells." -- Dr. Seuss
"Put him in the taffy puller!"
"Taffy puller?!"
"Hey! That was my idea!" -- Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

Amen to that!

maizyiscrazy GOLD, Washington, District Of Columbia

I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe in miracles. ~Audrey Hepburn

Whenever I look in the mirror and see something that somebody else might not aprove of, this happens to me. This is very good.

Chans247 GOLD said...
Chans247 GOLD, Rosthern, Other

"You could say this advice is priceless. Now...if you trust in yourself...believe in your dreams...and follow your star...you'll still get beaten by people who spend their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy." ~Discworld

This was very well written. What happened to you remind me of what happened to me. I always wish that I could look cool, but I just don't like that sort of clothing.

on Nov. 27 2011 at 10:16 am
readlovewrite SILVER, Greensboro, North Carolina

"Be quick to listen, and slow to speak, and even slower to judge."

This is very good.  You were right to do what you did.  I have felt that way to because it is the same at my school.  I sometimes wish I could look like my friends and be like them too, but instead whenever I see something that seems like it might look good to the people around me, I feel like it just isn't me.  You wrote truely, and I am sure that you have represented many other people as well

Rhinos SILVER said...
on Nov. 27 2011 at 7:38 am
Rhinos SILVER, Saigon, Other
True true true, be yourself, at least you know you're on your own path. Everybody has a talent, if you deviate from it, you're only getting farther. It's true where I am too! Very thoughtful!

on Nov. 20 2011 at 8:02 am
BloodyMary PLATINUM, N/A, Other

Life is like a box of chocolates; You never know what you are gonna get.

Awww! I love this one! I'm glad because you value MODESTY SO MUCH! You inspire everyone:)

SuchALittleLady BRONZE, Barberton, Ohio
I appecriate the way you carry yourself, everyone seems to want to fit in by showing off body parts. But beauty truly does come from within and if someone can't appreciate you for the way you carry yourself  then they can't truly apreciate you for you.

Helena_Noel BRONZE, Burnt Hills, New York

“I'd rather see a sermon than hear one any day; I'd rather one should walk with me than merely tell the way: The eye's a better pupil and more willing than the ear, fine counsel is confusing, but example's always clear.” -Edgar Guest

Even though I probably shouldn't care what people think, I still can't help but smile with pleasure at finding another girl who cares about modesty. Sometimes I think that there is something about modest clothes gives you a sense of security, right? Rock on, E the Author. If you don't feel it is nessasary to dress down, don't.