The Skirt This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

I will be the first to say that I am not materialistic. My friends label me as a goody-goody; my parents say I am conservative and modest when it comes to clothes. I don’t wear bikinis, and none of my skirts or shorts end above my knees. That is my choice.

So why, why did I feel so tempted? My family and I were in Target, and there it was, waiting. A skirt, specifically designed not to cover anything. It was tan and looked like something one of those anime schoolgirls would wear.

I checked my purse. The skirt cost $10. I had the money. I could buy it. I imagined walking into school and my pals’ jaws dropping. Guys would ask me out, and I would be happy. I could buy it – no, I should buy it.

I showed my mother. She was surprised but said it was my decision. My sister looked on enviously.

I went into the dressing room to try it on. So sure was I that this skirt would change me, somehow make me not what I am but what I wished to be. I slid my jeans off and put it on. Now for the decisive moment. I looked in the mirror. There I was – a geeky girl in a Superman T-shirt and sneakers. My glasses fogged up as I started to cry.

The skirt did not change me. Though it fit well and might make me look good in the eyes of ­today’s world, it was not me. I am not a girl who flirts or wears cool clothes to fit in.

I took the thing off and slid back into the ­comfort of modesty. My mom knocked on the door. “Emily, are you okay?”

I wiped away my tears. “I’m fine.” I looked in the ­mirror again and saw a blond skinny girl with dorky ­glasses and a ponytail. I saw myself.

Kayroxy101This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
This is lovely. It made me happy knowing that out there there are still people who be who they want to be and don't care about what other people think or what the Norm is :)

clumsyteardropper said...
i'm sorry to all you "i think i'm so hot" peeps and really popular jocks who are in the IN crowd...... but just saying my personal opinion... dorks, geeks, nerds and such are just SO hot ;)  DONT BE ANYONE BUT YOU!!! becuz no one does it better

Naomi518 replied...
I totally agree! I'm much more attracted to nerds :P

AubreyD. replied...

Amen to that!

Tcoolgirl said...
I must say that I'm wearing a super girl T-shirt and sneakers right now, but i am AWESOME. Lol, but I like your article. It makes a very good point, someone shouldnt wear something that is not them just to impress other people.

lzcelloplayer said...
I enjoyed reading this, and it sends a good message out there, that you should be who you want to be and not be pressured by anything to be someone else just to fit in with the crowd. 

selenafan1 replied...
omg this is so awesome wow so inspirational

FreedomIsMyVirtue said...
Sept. 20, 2011 at 6:39 am
I'd be myself. I like this article. So simple but inspiring.

ElleBell223421 said...
Aug. 31, 2011 at 9:29 am
You are an inspiration! If only more teenage girls thought that way.

K.M.S.Shear said...
Aug. 17, 2011 at 8:52 am
Great job just being yourself.

Laura_Oliver said...
This is a terrific piece! I dress the same way, with shorts and t-shirts all the time (once I was mistaken for a boy, and I just showed them my braid), and while I have never felt the need to buy any of those short skirts or shorts, I agree that you should just dress the way you want to and not feel pressured to follow others in their fashion statements. Be happy about it, too!

Lola_Black said...
Wonderfull! It's way easier just to be yourself and be happy with yourself, isn't it? By the way, buying the skirt wouldn't have changed anything. I know. I used to dress conservatively, as your parents would say, but that was just out of low self esteem. One day, I went ahead and bought a pair of short shorts even though I thought my legs were too fat. Now, I still wear shorts and I love my body, but I digress. That was I change I made for myself. The most I got from everyone else was, "You roc... (more »)

SecretSearcherThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Aug. 9, 2011 at 11:29 am
Go geekiness!!! :) 

GemValley250This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Aug. 9, 2011 at 3:33 am
Its so much easier being yourself rather than someone your not. I love this five stars!

Express-- This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Aug. 6, 2011 at 11:49 am
I can completely relate! Written impeccably!

M-star said...
Amazing! This definitely has the power to reach people. Great job!

Delictious said...
I am the same way! I am pretty modest in clothing, like I wear shorts and stuff, but where I get my trouble is I don't wear make-up or perfume or even have my ears pierced.

I've gotten a lot of crap for this too! It's my choice if I want to be a high schooler who doesn't wear make-up, not my fault that most everyone else does. And people think I'm scared to get my ear pierced, when in reality, I just don't see the point. I hate getting, not "bullied" really, but criticized for how I l... (more »)

Laura_Oliver replied...
Yes bar notation

DifferentTeenThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Oh my gosh I know what you mean. But in my school its really cool because a lot of girls don't wear make-up. I'm not going to lie, I wear make-up, have my ears pierced, and I love perfume. But I do all those things because I want to and I independently choose to. And I do things my way, I don't follow trends, I set them! Rock on individuality!

mimirocks124 said...
Jul. 18, 2011 at 10:45 am
wow. this piece, short as it is, has more meaning than most long pieces of writing ive read. fantastic job.