The Skirt This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

I will be the first to say that I am not materialistic. My friends label me as a goody-goody; my parents say I am conservative and modest when it comes to clothes. I don’t wear bikinis, and none of my skirts or shorts end above my knees. That is my choice.

So why, why did I feel so tempted? My family and I were in Target, and there it was, waiting. A skirt, specifically designed not to cover anything. It was tan and looked like something one of those anime schoolgirls would wear.

I checked my purse. The skirt cost $10. I had the money. I could buy it. I imagined walking into school and my pals’ jaws dropping. Guys would ask me out, and I would be happy. I could buy it – no, I should buy it.

I showed my mother. She was surprised but said it was my decision. My sister looked on enviously.

I went into the dressing room to try it on. So sure was I that this skirt would change me, somehow make me not what I am but what I wished to be. I slid my jeans off and put it on. Now for the decisive moment. I looked in the mirror. There I was – a geeky girl in a Superman T-shirt and sneakers. My glasses fogged up as I started to cry.

The skirt did not change me. Though it fit well and might make me look good in the eyes of ­today’s world, it was not me. I am not a girl who flirts or wears cool clothes to fit in.

I took the thing off and slid back into the ­comfort of modesty. My mom knocked on the door. “Emily, are you okay?”

I wiped away my tears. “I’m fine.” I looked in the ­mirror again and saw a blond skinny girl with dorky ­glasses and a ponytail. I saw myself.

#1animeperson said...
i think tht is sad but i am like tht the "goody goody" as ppl say to me i have straight A's i guess thts why

AugustusH20s said...
Jun. 12, 2012 at 8:30 pm:

All girls hope that there is some magic answer that will transform our lives and make it easier, but usually the magic answers don't work/only last a little while.

I loved your piece. Love who you are! xBri

Caitlin B. said...
Jun. 12, 2012 at 2:00 pm:
Thia was really good. I have felt the same many times and I think it's something a lot of girls can relate to. Well done, and keep writing! I can wait to read more of your writing!

doinitwrite said...
Jun. 10, 2012 at 2:40 pm:
Every teenage girl can identify with this in today's society. Clothes don't make someone who they are. This is a great way of showing that. Great writing with a wonderful message!

DifferentTeen said...
May 21, 2012 at 9:02 pm:
I love this, mostly because I can relate. I used to feel like I couldn't wear or wouldn't look right in a skirt. But I got past that bump in the road in my life. I was at a point where I was really uncomfortable with myself. Now I can wear whatever I think is cute without a doubt. I really think you would like my piece "Me And My Questions" if you ever any spare time. Great writing!

SilverSunThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Apr. 30, 2012 at 10:26 am:
This is a very beautiful piece full of ideals I wish everyone had. You wrote this so perfectly, it is so deserving of the magazine publication you received. I especially loved the part where you "saw yourself." good job!

GodSpell98 said...
I really connected with this piece! I checked ur profile and we have so much in common, even tho i didn't put a lot of the stuff down. GO LEANORD NIMOY! TREKKIES RULE!!! P.S. whats ur fave episode? I <3 Private Little War (and Chekov) sorry that im being a geek and talkative but I don't get to spaz like this very often! YAY! Anyway, loved the article! And the superman shirt! Woot Woot! 8D!

ModernMissBennet This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I really identified with this piece, and I think the writing is great! 

thelostsiren said...
Wow, I loved this. Great job.

livelaughloveeatsoup said...
Mar. 30, 2012 at 10:41 pm:
This was amazing:) good job! :)

Lletya said...
Feb. 23, 2012 at 8:37 pm:
I've kinda had the same thing happen.  I try something on, thinking it will be cool, and its just not me.  But, you're you, and thats good.

CandyGirl said...
Feb. 11, 2012 at 9:40 pm:
This was so poetic, towards the end

Michelle.D said...
Feb. 1, 2012 at 7:31 pm:
This was really honest. great job! :)

Sarbear1995 said...
Jan. 17, 2012 at 11:11 am:
Great job on being yourself, you aren't here to please other people :)

crystalita said...
true this people now on days just do wat their friends do you can see ll the girls wear the same thing

lolzdude said...
I can't relate at all b/c I'm cool and good looking... but you write very well. I liked the story.

Kite replied...
May 21, 2012 at 8:29 pm :
Thats your opinion.

beautifulspirit This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Dec. 29, 2011 at 8:55 am:
So open and honest~ This is something that a lot of people think of in the dressing room, but they ignore the thought.

maizyiscrazy said...
Whenever I look in the mirror and see something that somebody else might not aprove of, this happens to me. This is very good.

Chans247 said...
This was very well written. What happened to you remind me of what happened to me. I always wish that I could look cool, but I just don't like that sort of clothing.