The Skirt This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

I will be the first to say that I am not materialistic. My friends label me as a goody-goody; my parents say I am conservative and modest when it comes to clothes. I don’t wear bikinis, and none of my skirts or shorts end above my knees. That is my choice.

So why, why did I feel so tempted? My family and I were in Target, and there it was, waiting. A skirt, specifically designed not to cover anything. It was tan and looked like something one of those anime schoolgirls would wear.

I checked my purse. The skirt cost $10. I had the money. I could buy it. I imagined walking into school and my pals’ jaws dropping. Guys would ask me out, and I would be happy. I could buy it – no, I should buy it.

I showed my mother. She was surprised but said it was my decision. My sister looked on enviously.

I went into the dressing room to try it on. So sure was I that this skirt would change me, somehow make me not what I am but what I wished to be. I slid my jeans off and put it on. Now for the decisive moment. I looked in the mirror. There I was – a geeky girl in a Superman T-shirt and sneakers. My glasses fogged up as I started to cry.

The skirt did not change me. Though it fit well and might make me look good in the eyes of ­today’s world, it was not me. I am not a girl who flirts or wears cool clothes to fit in.

I took the thing off and slid back into the ­comfort of modesty. My mom knocked on the door. “Emily, are you okay?”

I wiped away my tears. “I’m fine.” I looked in the ­mirror again and saw a blond skinny girl with dorky ­glasses and a ponytail. I saw myself.

mkahhjxkjs said...
ys, You go girl  

MissCadabby This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Oct. 23, 2014 at 9:55 am
Great insight and truly relatable!

lauraxin This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I'm sure almost every girl can relate to this in some way. It's such a relatable story and full of feelings that I'm glad you took the time to write down.

dgeileen This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
This actually really reminds me of myself...I bought the skirt, but it's just sitting in my closet. Waiting for the day when I am the person who can wear the skirt, or for when the skirt doesn't fit me: whichever comes first.

Liv.HarrisThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Wow, this almost perfectly describes me! I loved this sooooooo much! I am very glad this has so many comments, it's too god not to have this many. Keep being you, and keep inspiring!!!!

aranayaa said...
Apr. 26, 2014 at 9:50 am
its really a good article and there are very few who believe in themselves and nt easily get iinfuencd by others...dressing sense is not somethng which defines the inner beauty:)

Godinspiresher43This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Although I kinda understand where you're coming from I don't agree with you. If something doesn't agree with you internally and you do it anyway, it would definately change who you are.  I think  what you wear really does matter more than what you realize. It shows part of your character.  When a girl decides to dress modestly, it doesn't mean she's trying to cover up herself to hide. Instead it shows her dignity.

This was a great article! Your narrative voice was awesome and you said in such few words and you still got your point across. I totally understand where you're coming from too. I like to stay modest and appropriate too. I don't like dressing trashy and wearing inappropriate clothes even if it's the "in thing to do." Don't ever compromise your morals even if it's the cool thing to do. I love this and I respect your choice for not buying the short skirt even though y... (more »)

CookieMonster24 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Define 'cool clothes". ;) 

Nicolette4455 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
The idealization of clothing, and how one believes it is going to make them somehow better is so relatable. I absolutely love the line: "So sure was I that this skirt would change me, somehow make me not what I am but what I wished to be."  I hope you know you are beautiful, and not for your appearance, but for your words.

robininthesky said...
This is a really great article. That being said, I hate it when people tell you to "be yourself." You get to decide who to be, and therefore whoever you are is yourself. The way you act is yourself. Wearing a short skirt won't change that. This article has a good message, which, as a fellow geeky girl, I appreciate, but wearing a short skirt does not mean that you aren't being true to yourself.

Its bakhtawar (: said...
Mar. 7, 2014 at 6:42 am
Aww . C'mon be yourself . Have your own simple and different personality . Cheers (;

ramfthomas4 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
This happens to me.  ALL.  THE.  TIME. You'd think I would learn...

LydCB said...
Feb. 19, 2014 at 11:55 am
"Be yourself - everyone else is taken" :)

Silent_Angel said...
"Being something you aren't is the ugliest thing you can be"

shykk.shykk said...
..'yeahh.being you is better than pretending.. you don't need to change your ways to impress the people who just like and appreciate the outer appearence.. :)

Blizzard said...
Amazing!! Every girl needs to read this!  

shaw74 said...
Jan. 16, 2014 at 7:55 am
I like your story. Always be yourself and don't change for anybody.

Hinako_Ichikawa said...
Jan. 9, 2014 at 11:32 am
I think the all schoolgirl in high school interest in fashion and how I am looked by other person and it is common over the world. I like go shopping and buy clothes.We must study but I think to interest in fashoin and improve myself as a woman. So I think you had a special good experience.

hannaj15 said...
Your self seems to be pretty awesome!