The Skirt This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

I will be the first to say that I am not materialistic. My friends label me as a goody-goody; my parents say I am conservative and modest when it comes to clothes. I don’t wear bikinis, and none of my skirts or shorts end above my knees. That is my choice.

So why, why did I feel so tempted? My family and I were in Target, and there it was, waiting. A skirt, specifically designed not to cover anything. It was tan and looked like something one of those anime schoolgirls would wear.

I checked my purse. The skirt cost $10. I had the money. I could buy it. I imagined walking into school and my pals’ jaws dropping. Guys would ask me out, and I would be happy. I could buy it – no, I should buy it.

I showed my mother. She was surprised but said it was my decision. My sister looked on enviously.

I went into the dressing room to try it on. So sure was I that this skirt would change me, somehow make me not what I am but what I wished to be. I slid my jeans off and put it on. Now for the decisive moment. I looked in the mirror. There I was – a geeky girl in a Superman T-shirt and sneakers. My glasses fogged up as I started to cry.

The skirt did not change me. Though it fit well and might make me look good in the eyes of ­today’s world, it was not me. I am not a girl who flirts or wears cool clothes to fit in.

I took the thing off and slid back into the ­comfort of modesty. My mom knocked on the door. “Emily, are you okay?”

I wiped away my tears. “I’m fine.” I looked in the ­mirror again and saw a blond skinny girl with dorky ­glasses and a ponytail. I saw myself.

PlaguedLily said...
Oct. 23, 2013 at 11:58 am:
I've been in this same situation, and the message you portray is just awesome. =w=

awesomeyyy said...
This is very true, all lot of girls go through this. I'm glad you finally found yourself in the end. :)

Aki Hana ryuumora said...
That's what I call taking in your apperience and accepting yourself for who you are and not caring what others think. That's positive thinking.

N.M.W.I.T.This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
that is one thing i agree with

Merla said...
Sept. 11, 2013 at 9:48 am:
I really appreciate this article, it’s fresh and much needed in today’s society. I think so many girls are sick of those movies where the “geek girl” gets a makeover, becomes super pretty and oh my God, super popular and all the boys like her and ewwwww, all of that stuff. This shows that is just not true. We can’t change ourselves with changing our clothes, and we really don’t have to! Short skirts can’t be cooler than being yourself.  

birtas said...
Sept. 11, 2013 at 9:40 am:
I really liked your story. It was really inspiring and can help other people to realize that you can´t be something you’re not. There are too many people out not being themselves and trying to be what other people want them to be. Good job!

MayaInk said...
This is absolutely amazing!

laurenevansokThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Aug. 9, 2013 at 6:46 am:
I loved this! Simple, yet fantastic.

Joele12This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
LOVE IT!!  be yourself but sometimes when the occasion comes is it okay to wear a different hat? (need some advice before school) 

Philia said...
Jul. 31, 2013 at 3:43 pm:
BE YOURSELF! The message is subtle but sure. Good work!!

IsibealThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jul. 16, 2013 at 1:17 pm:
I love this piece! It's amazing, and fits so well into every girl's life. I think everyone has a moment like this, and writing about it shows everyone that it's okay to be and see who you are.  It's sad, though. Don't be ashamed of who you are, because everyone's different and has their own style.

MissPeach said...
Jul. 10, 2013 at 11:46 pm:
Thank you, I have tried the exact same thing before. I wasnt able to try it on first and so now I am stuck with it.

ninjaballerina1234This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jul. 10, 2013 at 8:02 pm:
I loved this story! thank you for writing it. :)

SilhouettesThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
May 26, 2013 at 9:35 am:
I've had expiriences like this a lot. I go to some place I think will change my look so I'll look . .  . . . pretty, but it turns out everything  I try to try on just doesn't make me look like someone I want to be.  It's really discouraging and I'm glad someone wrote about it so I could have something to relate to. Maybe something we can relate to is something we can treasure; that's why this has gotten so many views. Great Job. :) 

RoyalCorona said...
May 23, 2013 at 7:00 pm:
This is a great example of an anti-giving into today's society to become someone cooler that actually is well-written and interesting! I applaud you for your choice, us nerds have to stick together in a nerdless world!!

ItsMyLife said...
May 18, 2013 at 7:54 pm:
Sooooo.... yeah, I've already posted a comment on this story but it is soooo good I've got to post another! I'm perfectly geeky, shy, blond, skinny, and wear ponytails! Way to go blonds against stereotypes that don't need to fit in to be their own pure awesomeness! Seriously, one of the best stories ever.

gahgazzuino said...
May 6, 2013 at 12:23 pm:
it's cool how you still made it whole from beginning til the end flawlessly. you successfully moved me in this short story. good job! 

MaddieMP1996 said...
Feb. 28, 2013 at 11:28 am:
I like it, i'm sure every girl can relate to this story. God job.

SmileOn said...
That girl is so me. Right down to the ponytail. Such a great story.  

KatnissDaywalker said...
Hey, Modest is Hottest! Good for you!