The Skirt | Teen Ink

The Skirt MAG

By EmilytheAuthor DIAMOND, St. Francisville, Louisiana
EmilytheAuthor DIAMOND, St. Francisville, Louisiana

Be who you are and say what you feel because those that mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind. -dr. seuss

I will be the first to say that I am not materialistic. My friends label me as a goody-goody; my parents say I am conservative and modest when it comes to clothes. I don’t wear bikinis, and none of my skirts or shorts end above my knees. That is my choice.

So why, why did I feel so tempted? My family and I were in Target, and there it was, waiting. A skirt, specifically designed not to cover anything. It was tan and looked like something one of those anime schoolgirls would wear.

I checked my purse. The skirt cost $10. I had the money. I could buy it. I imagined walking into school and my pals’ jaws dropping. Guys would ask me out, and I would be happy. I could buy it – no, I should buy it.

I showed my mother. She was surprised but said it was my decision. My sister looked on enviously.

I went into the dressing room to try it on. So sure was I that this skirt would change me, somehow make me not what I am but what I wished to be. I slid my jeans off and put it on. Now for the decisive moment. I looked in the mirror. There I was – a geeky girl in a Superman T-shirt and sneakers. My glasses fogged up as I started to cry.

The skirt did not change me. Though it fit well and might make me look good in the eyes of ­today’s world, it was not me. I am not a girl who flirts or wears cool clothes to fit in.

I took the thing off and slid back into the ­comfort of modesty. My mom knocked on the door. “Emily, are you okay?”

I wiped away my tears. “I’m fine.” I looked in the ­mirror again and saw a blond skinny girl with dorky ­glasses and a ponytail. I saw myself.

Yazzie3317 said...
Yazzie3317, Augusta, Georgia
Look at my article its called Nightmare ( its not scary its just a personal experience)

Rose15 SILVER said...
on Jan. 9 2016 at 8:56 am
Rose15 SILVER, Rockville, Maryland

Love exsists, dont search for it. Because it will find you.

Check out some of my work related to tge struggle of being a girl

on Dec. 15 2015 at 11:20 am
arion681 BRONZE, Oak Grove, Missouri

Maybe you can afford to wait. Maybe for you, there's a tomorrow. Maybe for you there's one thousand tomorrows, or ten, so much time you can bathe in it, roll around it, let it slide like coins through your fingers. So much time you can waste it. But for some of us, there's only today. And the truth is, you never really know."

someone wrote the same exact story before you. word for word..

JaiJay GOLD said...
JaiJay GOLD, Hamilton, Other
Sorry that was a random comment!

JaiJay GOLD said...
JaiJay GOLD, Hamilton, Other
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Leigh116 PLATINUM, Easley, South Carolina

"We're all mad here." -Alice in Wonderland

I've had similar experiences in stores. Your article really made my day.

Onavae said...
on Nov. 23 2015 at 4:14 am
Onavae, Okota, Other
Everyone should be able to wear what they want without being made to feel bad, birthday suit or burqa

thefierypen BRONZE, Denver, Colorado

"Be the change you want to see in the world".-Gandhi

You are very talented!!! Good job!!!

JaiJay GOLD said...
JaiJay GOLD, Hamilton, Other
I can relate to this so much! This gives other people courage to stick to their morals and stay strong. I'm not ashamed to be who I am and i've had my fair share of moment like this.

JayBlue BRONZE said...
JayBlue BRONZE, Roseau, Other

"If anyone, then, knows the good he ought to do and doesn't do it, sins." James 4:17
"Life is only precious 'cause it ends kid." The Titan's Curse

I absolutely love this post! This is amazing and I can totally relate. Keep writing!

mariyahm-- BRONZE, Plaquemine, Louisiana
I can understand what you are talking bout when you say, “It’s my choice” and you don't care what your friends think of you. This relates to me because just as my friends are all into social media and other net works, yet I rather to not deal with that. I feel that my life story doesn’t need to be told from a social media website or app. My life story will be told by me, so if you don’t know or see me ole well it's just not meant to be. It’s not good to follow other people’s footsteps, so be your own leader, do what makes you happy.

vansgirl said...
vansgirl,
i think we shouldn't change who and how we look . if your happy with what you wear and are, then thats all that matters . ;)

KyraSapphire said...
KyraSapphire, Fort Worth, Texas
I admire the fact that you stuck to your morals. I have had that kind of choice before, and I caved. It didn't work for me, and I ended up feeling stupid. I admire you a lot.

AnnaKarenina SILVER, West Windsor, New Jersey

What if I fall? Oh, but my darling, what if you fly?- e.h

We've all been there. Love this.

A.Qisblackwidow, Torrance, California

"It takes courage to become who you really are" e.e cummings

I can totally relate to this. some clothes I just refuse to wear because it's not "me"

Mallowmarsh-Andi, Superior, Arizona

"Do not mock a pain you haven't endured"

"Stayin' in my play pretend where the fun ain't got no end"

"It's hard to raise parents"
~ Laura (aka the best counselor I've ever had)

Been there lots and lots of times. This was great.

celticstudygirl PLATINUM, Vermilion, Other
This totally reminds me of myself a lot.

casey_lg PLATINUM, Clemmons, North Carolina

"history, despite its wrenching pain, cannot be unlived, but if faced with courage, need not be lived again." -Maya Angelou

This is so relatable and I am glad you stayed true to you.

CharleyHeelis BRONZE, Derby, Other

How can a bird that is born to fly, be put in a cage and expected to sing?

Wow! I cannot explain how beautiful this is , keep choosing to wear what you want and not what others want you to wear ... you're an inspiration xox

Calvina said...
on Mar. 18 2015 at 9:38 am
What was your purpose of writing this story?