The Skirt This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

I will be the first to say that I am not materialistic. My friends label me as a goody-goody; my parents say I am conservative and modest when it comes to clothes. I don’t wear bikinis, and none of my skirts or shorts end above my knees. That is my choice.

So why, why did I feel so tempted? My family and I were in Target, and there it was, waiting. A skirt, specifically designed not to cover anything. It was tan and looked like something one of those anime schoolgirls would wear.

I checked my purse. The skirt cost $10. I had the money. I could buy it. I imagined walking into school and my pals’ jaws dropping. Guys would ask me out, and I would be happy. I could buy it – no, I should buy it.

I showed my mother. She was surprised but said it was my decision. My sister looked on enviously.

I went into the dressing room to try it on. So sure was I that this skirt would change me, somehow make me not what I am but what I wished to be. I slid my jeans off and put it on. Now for the decisive moment. I looked in the mirror. There I was – a geeky girl in a Superman T-shirt and sneakers. My glasses fogged up as I started to cry.

The skirt did not change me. Though it fit well and might make me look good in the eyes of ­today’s world, it was not me. I am not a girl who flirts or wears cool clothes to fit in.

I took the thing off and slid back into the ­comfort of modesty. My mom knocked on the door. “Emily, are you okay?”

I wiped away my tears. “I’m fine.” I looked in the ­mirror again and saw a blond skinny girl with dorky ­glasses and a ponytail. I saw myself.

mariyahm-- said...
I can understand what you are talking bout when you say, “It’s my choice” and you don't care what your friends think of you. This relates to me because just as my friends are all into social media and other net works, yet I rather to not deal with that. I feel that my life story doesn’t need to be told from a social media website or app. My life story will be told by me, so if you don’t know or see me ole well it's just not meant to be. It’s not good to follow other people’s footst... (more »)

vansgirl said...
i think we shouldn't change who and how we look . if your happy with what you wear and are, then thats all that matters . ;)

Apocalyptic said...
I admire the fact that you stuck to your morals. I have had that kind of choice before, and I caved. It didn't work for me, and I ended up feeling stupid. I admire you a lot.

AnnaKareninaThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
We've all been there. Love this.

A.QtheGreat said...
I can totally relate to this. some clothes I just refuse to wear because it's not "me"

Mallowmarsh-Andi said...
Been there lots and lots of times. This was great.

celticstudygirl said...
This totally reminds me of myself a lot.

casey_lg said...
This is so relatable and I am glad you stayed true to you.

CharleyHeelisThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Wow! I cannot explain how beautiful this is , keep choosing to wear what you want and not what others want you to wear ... you're an inspiration xox

Calvina said...
Mar. 18, 2015 at 9:38 am
What was your purpose of writing this story?

Calvinia said...
Mar. 18, 2015 at 9:03 am
This article really reminded me of myself when I was a little girl and you have good talent, I would love see more of your work.

Cindy D. said...
Gave me the shivers. Love this article and how relatable it is!

SaraCatttThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jan. 19, 2015 at 12:22 am
I love this so much. I've read it five times over and it's so relatable and true.

hunter said...
When I look in the mirror I seem myself a 16 year old goof ball with nerdy wire glasses. But it is not what you look like that matters. Its who you are on the inside.

Chrissiana1320This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Dec. 17, 2014 at 1:11 am
This is great Emily. It reminds me of me.

gracefulThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Your honesty is refreshing! This is great, good job! And for the record, Beauty is something that can never be achieved through how you look or what you wear. Be confident in who you are and you will radiate like no one else.

EleniAneziris This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Nov. 14, 2014 at 12:21 am
I think you shouldn't care so much about whether something is considered "cool" or not. If you like the skirt, then wear it. Don't let anyone stop you from doing what you want. You do you. 

KrisKat This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
What a great article! Being a teenage girl without a smartphone, a boyfriend, or a group of "popular" friends, I can totally relate to this article. I loved the similes and descriptive language you incorporated into your piece, such as the "anime skirt." You are very talented!!

Larkin said...
This is so great. I had the same expierience with a dress the other day. Nice to know there are other teens like me out there. 

arion681 said...
This seriously reminds me of myself!