The Skirt This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

I will be the first to say that I am not materialistic. My friends label me as a goody-goody; my parents say I am conservative and modest when it comes to clothes. I don’t wear bikinis, and none of my skirts or shorts end above my knees. That is my choice.

So why, why did I feel so tempted? My family and I were in Target, and there it was, waiting. A skirt, specifically designed not to cover anything. It was tan and looked like something one of those anime schoolgirls would wear.

I checked my purse. The skirt cost $10. I had the money. I could buy it. I imagined walking into school and my pals’ jaws dropping. Guys would ask me out, and I would be happy. I could buy it – no, I should buy it.

I showed my mother. She was surprised but said it was my decision. My sister looked on enviously.

I went into the dressing room to try it on. So sure was I that this skirt would change me, somehow make me not what I am but what I wished to be. I slid my jeans off and put it on. Now for the decisive moment. I looked in the mirror. There I was – a geeky girl in a Superman T-shirt and sneakers. My glasses fogged up as I started to cry.

The skirt did not change me. Though it fit well and might make me look good in the eyes of ­today’s world, it was not me. I am not a girl who flirts or wears cool clothes to fit in.

I took the thing off and slid back into the ­comfort of modesty. My mom knocked on the door. “Emily, are you okay?”

I wiped away my tears. “I’m fine.” I looked in the ­mirror again and saw a blond skinny girl with dorky ­glasses and a ponytail. I saw myself.

sara16 said...
Jan. 14, 2010 at 10:23 am
we all have our flaws,nobody is perfect. just dress how your comfortable,dont ever change who you are for who you want to be!
gtfclucky2 replied...
I agree with this post. And anyways, even if you *think* you want to be this person, i don't think you really do. I think you're better than that. So stay true[:
mayraa said...
Jan. 13, 2010 at 7:34 am
sometimes i try on clothes that dont look nice but then i find clothes that look nice so maybe that wasnt the skirt for you.
emogrl said...
stay true to urself and be urself cuz true beauty is inside.
aurreeeyyyleee said...
Short, simple, but it has the message. :)
Ellie_Michelle said...
That is wonderful. This was a great piece, and I've had similar experiences. :)
BritneyG. said...
That is so great how you stayed true to yourself!!! :)
pandaLICIOUS said...
Very inspiring, and a good message. WELL DONE!
harpangel said...
love this, the message is true!
shywriter said...
Dec. 23, 2009 at 10:39 am
modesty is good!! I commend u for that! And ur writing is very good!
aesha123 said...
Dec. 23, 2009 at 6:45 am
Amazin, the fact that u didnt wear the skirt shows just how strong u really are
ReflectionsofYou said...
Good for you. No schame in being modest:]
scarletP said...
be true to yourself and the rest will come. nicely written.
Anonymous16 said...
Nov. 16, 2009 at 2:10 am
Your tears make you a stronger person than most
toxic.monkey said...
Nov. 15, 2009 at 5:05 am
i think as long as you like yourself, it's all good. no one can be happy hating their own self. its fine to try new things--- i can completely relate:)))
phoenixqueen said...
I completely understand. Being yourself does not mean being popular.
Belma H. said...
Nov. 10, 2009 at 9:24 am
I totally hear you. This piece is wonderful, keep writing!!! :)
CaseyLeigh This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I love this piece, and how you're willing to be yourself, even with the temptation of the skirt.
This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Nov. 4, 2009 at 11:33 am
This piece is very interesting and very relatable. I love it! 5 stars!
tennisislovee34 said...
Oct. 18, 2009 at 10:37 am
This is a really good piece, kept straight to the point. I reallly like it and can understand where the girl is coming from. Keep up the good work! :D
flawsversesperfection said...
Sept. 26, 2009 at 11:16 am
This was really honest and I understand what the girl is going through. You're a good writer.