The Skirt This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

I will be the first to say that I am not materialistic. My friends label me as a goody-goody; my parents say I am conservative and modest when it comes to clothes. I don’t wear bikinis, and none of my skirts or shorts end above my knees. That is my choice.

So why, why did I feel so tempted? My family and I were in Target, and there it was, waiting. A skirt, specifically designed not to cover anything. It was tan and looked like something one of those anime schoolgirls would wear.

I checked my purse. The skirt cost $10. I had the money. I could buy it. I imagined walking into school and my pals’ jaws dropping. Guys would ask me out, and I would be happy. I could buy it – no, I should buy it.

I showed my mother. She was surprised but said it was my decision. My sister looked on enviously.

I went into the dressing room to try it on. So sure was I that this skirt would change me, somehow make me not what I am but what I wished to be. I slid my jeans off and put it on. Now for the decisive moment. I looked in the mirror. There I was – a geeky girl in a Superman T-shirt and sneakers. My glasses fogged up as I started to cry.

The skirt did not change me. Though it fit well and might make me look good in the eyes of ­today’s world, it was not me. I am not a girl who flirts or wears cool clothes to fit in.

I took the thing off and slid back into the ­comfort of modesty. My mom knocked on the door. “Emily, are you okay?”

I wiped away my tears. “I’m fine.” I looked in the ­mirror again and saw a blond skinny girl with dorky ­glasses and a ponytail. I saw myself.

tabbetha K. said...
Apr. 8, 2009 at 3:00 am
this is a really good peice a lot of people including myself can relate to this in many ways.

Sara said..... said...
Apr. 5, 2009 at 4:31 am
i love this i can relate alot to this i mean alot lol i love your writing u keep it simple and nice keep writing...

makemebleed415 said...
This is one of thost amazing things ive read in a long time. i think i just fell in love with you. I have seen to many friends and even girlfriends change and go down the drain because of the type of thing that you resisted. your a great girl. anyone would be lucky to have you.

MorningStar15 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
don't change, anything could happen for you, maybe its not looks, but you have something much more rare than that you are a pretty good writer

MaximumRideGirl'12 said...
Apr. 4, 2009 at 12:50 am
hey sweets, don't ever change what you look like or who you are for someone else. being yourself is the most important thing out there. you don't need to be afraid to stand on top of a roof and say "hello world. this is me, this is who i am and you can't change that." i know exactly how it feels to be a "dork" or a "geek". but you know what? i'm proud. my friends are the kind where we have read all the harry potter books, and instead of partying or going to get the "newest pair of sh... (more »)

converselove77 said...
Apr. 4, 2009 at 12:11 am
I loved this piece. It was really, really amazing.=]

totalprocrastinator said...
Jan. 12, 2009 at 2:40 am
I quote what Maggey said. :)

Maggey said...
Dec. 21, 2008 at 4:36 am
This is an amazing story. I was like that but then I did change. I changed the outside but not the inside. I may appear crazy, outgoing and materialistic, but on the inside you can never change!! Beautiful piece!!!

the muffin man said...
I really liked this story, because I feel that way too. This article was really well written, and I thought that it was really courageous of Emily to write an article like this and have send it in to published by Teen Ink.

ellyxx said...
Wow=] this article is really good. even though i cant relate, i still think it's great.

starghos4 said...
wonderful story. I can really relate. Keep writing, I want to read more from you.

dolly diamond said...
this is the geatest article ever

Hannataro said...
Welcome to my world! You've got talent!

Joy said...
This was wonderfully written.

bubble gum girl 222 said...
I really liked your story. It is the way I think I lot of people feel. They think things like clothes or makeup will change them but when they look in the mirror it is the same person.

Jess said...
I am in love with this story. Its amazing, very well written and just amazing. wow. No wonder it was chosen to be published. How could it not?? =]