The Skirt This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

I will be the first to say that I am not materialistic. My friends label me as a goody-goody; my parents say I am conservative and modest when it comes to clothes. I don’t wear bikinis, and none of my skirts or shorts end above my knees. That is my choice.

So why, why did I feel so tempted? My family and I were in Target, and there it was, waiting. A skirt, specifically designed not to cover anything. It was tan and looked like something one of those anime schoolgirls would wear.

I checked my purse. The skirt cost $10. I had the money. I could buy it. I imagined walking into school and my pals’ jaws dropping. Guys would ask me out, and I would be happy. I could buy it – no, I should buy it.

I showed my mother. She was surprised but said it was my decision. My sister looked on enviously.

I went into the dressing room to try it on. So sure was I that this skirt would change me, somehow make me not what I am but what I wished to be. I slid my jeans off and put it on. Now for the decisive moment. I looked in the mirror. There I was – a geeky girl in a Superman T-shirt and sneakers. My glasses fogged up as I started to cry.

The skirt did not change me. Though it fit well and might make me look good in the eyes of ­today’s world, it was not me. I am not a girl who flirts or wears cool clothes to fit in.

I took the thing off and slid back into the ­comfort of modesty. My mom knocked on the door. “Emily, are you okay?”

I wiped away my tears. “I’m fine.” I looked in the ­mirror again and saw a blond skinny girl with dorky ­glasses and a ponytail. I saw myself.

xAllegria said...
Feb. 5, 2010 at 10:59 pm:
Personally... I don't agree with this article. It's a bit superficial to think, firstly, that who you are is based on what you where. Second, wearing something different won't change your personality. And obviously, just buying a skirt won't change your entire appearance. As someone says, "Getting new clothes takes minutes. Getting a new look takes time."

LYLAF replied...
Feb. 27, 2010 at 9:42 am :
It's probably just a metaphor. Remember that she discovered it didn't change her; that's anything BUT superficial, if you ask me.

noelleism said...
Feb. 5, 2010 at 7:02 pm:
O.M.G. O.M.G. O my gosh.this is me. Im modest I hate to ware shorts in the summer and bathing suits LETS NOT GO THERE!! if I do ware a short skirt I ware tights under it. I feel like some sleeze bag wareing clothes like that. and girls who ware things like that make me blush. I mean thay make it look fun in the movies, but lifes not like that. I love this and I'm deffinately putting it in my favorites. love it :)

TheseBrownEyes This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 5, 2010 at 6:51 am:
This was very good! Relatable for most girls. Good job!

notebookgirl said...
Feb. 4, 2010 at 9:44 am:
I'm the kind of person who doesn't really care what anyone else thinks of me so maybe this won't be helpful but... I've never worn a skirt above my knees in my entire life and I feel no desire to change that. A skirt you were for one day does not define who you are

kimmycakes said...
ok...well i used to be like that...a skirt is dumb just always be urself never change just to fit in just change into something ur comfortable in...i put on a skirt and everyone looked at me as a whore ...thats all skirts do is make u look like one n posibly make u think that thats all it is a whore underneith, and by reading this peice ur not i can tell... :DD

CountryGothic said...
You know what I think? I think that there should be more people like this today. Girls who are modest and don't show off their bodies so revealingly. You can still look beautiful even if you're conservative. I'm proud of you and you should feel super happy with yourself. There is nothing wrong with ponytails by the way, I've never understood why people associate ponytails with dorky-ness...Oh well. :)

Pillow said...
Oh wow. That's me. Except I'm not skinny or blonde. I have a different problem. I loved the story/article. It's well written too.

Adri_eyes said...
This is really good! I like it a lot because i've felt the same way about a lot of things!

Stina said...
Jan. 14, 2010 at 10:43 am:
Just be yourself! :) Wear what you like and be proud of who you are. Some wear jeans and some wear skirts. Who cares? I like wearing skirts and dresses because they are comfy! But not really now when its like -10 outside x)

sara16 said...
Jan. 14, 2010 at 10:23 am:
we all have our flaws,nobody is perfect. just dress how your comfortable,dont ever change who you are for who you want to be!

gtfclucky2 replied...
Jan. 14, 2010 at 6:44 pm :
I agree with this post. And anyways, even if you *think* you want to be this person, i don't think you really do. I think you're better than that. So stay true[:

mayraa said...
Jan. 13, 2010 at 7:34 am:
sometimes i try on clothes that dont look nice but then i find clothes that look nice so maybe that wasnt the skirt for you.

emogrl said...
stay true to urself and be urself cuz true beauty is inside.

aurreeeyyyleee said...
Short, simple, but it has the message. :)

Ellie_Michelle said...
That is wonderful. This was a great piece, and I've had similar experiences. :)

BritneyG. said...
That is so great how you stayed true to yourself!!! :)

pandaLICIOUS said...
Very inspiring, and a good message. WELL DONE!

harpangel said...
love this, the message is true!

shywriter said...
Dec. 23, 2009 at 10:39 am:
modesty is good!! I commend u for that! And ur writing is very good!