The Skirt This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

I will be the first to say that I am not materialistic. My friends label me as a goody-goody; my parents say I am conservative and modest when it comes to clothes. I don’t wear bikinis, and none of my skirts or shorts end above my knees. That is my choice.

So why, why did I feel so tempted? My family and I were in Target, and there it was, waiting. A skirt, specifically designed not to cover anything. It was tan and looked like something one of those anime schoolgirls would wear.

I checked my purse. The skirt cost $10. I had the money. I could buy it. I imagined walking into school and my pals’ jaws dropping. Guys would ask me out, and I would be happy. I could buy it – no, I should buy it.

I showed my mother. She was surprised but said it was my decision. My sister looked on enviously.

I went into the dressing room to try it on. So sure was I that this skirt would change me, somehow make me not what I am but what I wished to be. I slid my jeans off and put it on. Now for the decisive moment. I looked in the mirror. There I was – a geeky girl in a Superman T-shirt and sneakers. My glasses fogged up as I started to cry.

The skirt did not change me. Though it fit well and might make me look good in the eyes of ­today’s world, it was not me. I am not a girl who flirts or wears cool clothes to fit in.

I took the thing off and slid back into the ­comfort of modesty. My mom knocked on the door. “Emily, are you okay?”

I wiped away my tears. “I’m fine.” I looked in the ­mirror again and saw a blond skinny girl with dorky ­glasses and a ponytail. I saw myself.

ShadowFairy said...
I am glad that you chose to write this. Many people can relate to what you wrote, I can certainly relate to this myself. Thank you.  

KonyaB!!! This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...

Loved it.

Connectable. VERY connectable. :)

GracieLynn said...
i guess what i was trying ot say was be true to yourself. Take it from a girl who wears glasses and my hair is ALWAYS in a ponytail; you were made the way you are for reason. NEVER change that, especially from the world:)

GracieLynn said...
wow! i can relate to that SOOO much. It's great to see that i'm not the only one who feels like that.

wolfiemoon replied...
If you're not yourself, then who are you? Wonderful article.

JessieBecker said...

i like this(:

i can really connect with it.

Everhart said...
May 4, 2010 at 10:18 am
Wow. Powerful writing. Brilliant.

charzard said...
May 4, 2010 at 7:42 am
wow. i don't know what else to say about this other than wow. its pure power, pure truth. its not me; i wear short skirts, get asked out, and am the opposite of you, and its become me. that used to be me. no, i'm not insecure, i just changed. great article. truest thing i have read in a long while. great piece, emily.

mcpanicfanic said...
dont conform gurl. stay true to who you are and dont change unless YOU want to.

kagc411 said...
Good job not getting sucked into something that isn't you. It's not what other people think about you, or today's culture; it's what you think and feel about yourself that matters most.     :)

melodeess said...

this is great :)

you should always stay true to who you are, and you really expressed this in your writing. you go girl- having such great confidence! :] your writing is amazing too!

awesomeaugust This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I really liked this article if for no other reason than it is real. It's really real and raw and even though it ended on a rather sad note, I think it had a pretty positive message. I don't follow the trends that a lot of people seem to think are "in", but I wear mini skirts and I own a shirt from Aeropostale. Yes, the mini skirts might be from the salvation army and, yes, the shirt is a hand-me-down but I still wear them because I think they're cute. And I'm a dork, and so ar... (more »)

sailercThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Love this article! Amazing writing.

sk8terboi said...
Apr. 1, 2010 at 7:09 am

I love thiss article!! I write about love and I've got one called Linda my first love u should chec it out.

Keep on writing

#1 fan said...
I am so excited about this story! Just got your book in the mail from Amazon and you are an amazing writer! Your book "Treading Water Today" is AMAZING!

Inkspired said...
You are lucky. I find myself in the position that, on one hand, I don't want to just "fit in" and wear what everyone else is wearing, but be my own person, but every day I worry about what people think, and I just can't do it. Anyways, I loved this, it was really true and real. It made me think again.

Rebecca24 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
This was a wonderful piece. I can relate so much to this. We should always be comfortable being who we are, and not try to mould ourselves to what the world or the media dictates. You'd be surprised at how much more respect you garner when you dress and act in a way that shows that you have respect for yourself. Great job!

Lola_Sveroski said...
I loved it. If only they could bottle and sell feelings such as those you have laid out for the world to see.

Striker said...
I can relate to this article. I would call myself a tomboy and I hate wearing skirts. Keep being yourself and keep writing.

makayra said...
Mar. 21, 2010 at 10:31 am
i'm glad to hear that i'm not alone in the decisions i make. to wear a t shirt instead of a halter top and jeans rather than skirts. individuality is a gift, its nice to see you have it.