The Skirt This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

I will be the first to say that I am not materialistic. My friends label me as a goody-goody; my parents say I am conservative and modest when it comes to clothes. I don’t wear bikinis, and none of my skirts or shorts end above my knees. That is my choice.

So why, why did I feel so tempted? My family and I were in Target, and there it was, waiting. A skirt, specifically designed not to cover anything. It was tan and looked like something one of those anime schoolgirls would wear.

I checked my purse. The skirt cost $10. I had the money. I could buy it. I imagined walking into school and my pals’ jaws dropping. Guys would ask me out, and I would be happy. I could buy it – no, I should buy it.

I showed my mother. She was surprised but said it was my decision. My sister looked on enviously.

I went into the dressing room to try it on. So sure was I that this skirt would change me, somehow make me not what I am but what I wished to be. I slid my jeans off and put it on. Now for the decisive moment. I looked in the mirror. There I was – a geeky girl in a Superman T-shirt and sneakers. My glasses fogged up as I started to cry.

The skirt did not change me. Though it fit well and might make me look good in the eyes of ­today’s world, it was not me. I am not a girl who flirts or wears cool clothes to fit in.

I took the thing off and slid back into the ­comfort of modesty. My mom knocked on the door. “Emily, are you okay?”

I wiped away my tears. “I’m fine.” I looked in the ­mirror again and saw a blond skinny girl with dorky ­glasses and a ponytail. I saw myself.

awesomeaugustThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I really liked this article if for no other reason than it is real. It's really real and raw and even though it ended on a rather sad note, I think it had a pretty positive message. I don't follow the trends that a lot of people seem to think are "in", but I wear mini skirts and I own a shirt from Aeropostale. Yes, the mini skirts might be from the salvation army and, yes, the shirt is a hand-me-down but I still wear them because I think they're cute. And I'm a dork, and so ar... (more »)

sailerc This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Love this article! Amazing writing.

sk8terboi said...
Apr. 1, 2010 at 7:09 am:

I love thiss article!! I write about love and I've got one called Linda my first love u should chec it out.

Keep on writing

#1 fan said...
Mar. 21, 2010 at 8:48 pm:
I am so excited about this story! Just got your book in the mail from Amazon and you are an amazing writer! Your book "Treading Water Today" is AMAZING!

Inkspired said...
Mar. 21, 2010 at 5:54 pm:
You are lucky. I find myself in the position that, on one hand, I don't want to just "fit in" and wear what everyone else is wearing, but be my own person, but every day I worry about what people think, and I just can't do it. Anyways, I loved this, it was really true and real. It made me think again.

Rebecca24 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Mar. 21, 2010 at 5:03 pm:
This was a wonderful piece. I can relate so much to this. We should always be comfortable being who we are, and not try to mould ourselves to what the world or the media dictates. You'd be surprised at how much more respect you garner when you dress and act in a way that shows that you have respect for yourself. Great job!

Lola_Sveroski said...
Mar. 21, 2010 at 5:01 pm:
I loved it. If only they could bottle and sell feelings such as those you have laid out for the world to see.

Striker said...
Mar. 21, 2010 at 3:53 pm:
I can relate to this article. I would call myself a tomboy and I hate wearing skirts. Keep being yourself and keep writing.

makayra said...
Mar. 21, 2010 at 10:31 am:
i'm glad to hear that i'm not alone in the decisions i make. to wear a t shirt instead of a halter top and jeans rather than skirts. individuality is a gift, its nice to see you have it.

SilverSnowflakes said...
Mar. 19, 2010 at 10:47 am:
good for you! I would hate to wear what everyone else was wearing. I concentrate on ignoring what everyone else is wearing and I wear whatever I feel like wearing that I think looks good. I think miniskirts are ugly and I don't know why everyone (except my friends, for some reason) seem to like them...

hoodiequeen14 said...
Mar. 18, 2010 at 8:55 pm:
I like wearing t shirts and jeans, but I feel embarassed to wear what everyone else is wearing and my friends love me for that

siany said...
Mar. 13, 2010 at 7:28 am:
I think so many girls can relate to this, I can. 2 years ago I would only wear ratty t-shirts and jeans, a year ago I was very superficial and only cared about what others thought, and now I have found a balance. I realize I like to look nice, but I'm not going to sacrifice who I am for that. I'm developing my own style inside and out!

MarielAntoinette said...
Mar. 7, 2010 at 8:38 pm:
When I first started reading this, it seemed juvenile and banal. My opinion quickly changed as I kept reading. It's deep, you're deep, but do not hasten to limit yourself by saying "I'm not one of those girls". It's judgemental and cheating yourself, just like calling your glasses dorky. Don't hold yourself to fabricated ideals of modesty, coolness, sexuality, anything!
Also, you don't always have to "be" yourself. Sometimes its cool to s... (more »)

Someone_Who_Is_Loved said...
Mar. 4, 2010 at 8:54 pm:
Good choice! I wouldn't have bought the skirt if it didn't fit who I was.

roknroll said...
Feb. 27, 2010 at 9:45 pm:
WOW it sounded like u described me.....only wear contacts

xxkennedyxx013 said...
Feb. 23, 2010 at 2:17 pm:
wow i can relate to this story so much! but im not really the nerd type..but i dont ever ware anything but t-shirt and jeans...i think that this is very great.....good job!

daughter_of_athena This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 16, 2010 at 8:49 pm:
You've captured perfectly the way a lot of us "nerds" feel about our clothes. Every once in a while I get tempted to try the "extreme makeover" you always see in the movies. Never works. Feels a lot better to just be me. Great job, keep it coming!

xAllegria said...
Feb. 5, 2010 at 10:59 pm:
Personally... I don't agree with this article. It's a bit superficial to think, firstly, that who you are is based on what you where. Second, wearing something different won't change your personality. And obviously, just buying a skirt won't change your entire appearance. As someone says, "Getting new clothes takes minutes. Getting a new look takes time."

LYLAF replied...
Feb. 27, 2010 at 9:42 am :
It's probably just a metaphor. Remember that she discovered it didn't change her; that's anything BUT superficial, if you ask me.

noelleism said...
Feb. 5, 2010 at 7:02 pm:
O.M.G. O.M.G. O my gosh.this is me. Im modest I hate to ware shorts in the summer and bathing suits LETS NOT GO THERE!! if I do ware a short skirt I ware tights under it. I feel like some sleeze bag wareing clothes like that. and girls who ware things like that make me blush. I mean thay make it look fun in the movies, but lifes not like that. I love this and I'm deffinately putting it in my favorites. love it :)