The Skirt This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

I will be the first to say that I am not materialistic. My friends label me as a goody-goody; my parents say I am conservative and modest when it comes to clothes. I don’t wear bikinis, and none of my skirts or shorts end above my knees. That is my choice.

So why, why did I feel so tempted? My family and I were in Target, and there it was, waiting. A skirt, specifically designed not to cover anything. It was tan and looked like something one of those anime schoolgirls would wear.

I checked my purse. The skirt cost $10. I had the money. I could buy it. I imagined walking into school and my pals’ jaws dropping. Guys would ask me out, and I would be happy. I could buy it – no, I should buy it.

I showed my mother. She was surprised but said it was my decision. My sister looked on enviously.

I went into the dressing room to try it on. So sure was I that this skirt would change me, somehow make me not what I am but what I wished to be. I slid my jeans off and put it on. Now for the decisive moment. I looked in the mirror. There I was – a geeky girl in a Superman T-shirt and sneakers. My glasses fogged up as I started to cry.

The skirt did not change me. Though it fit well and might make me look good in the eyes of ­today’s world, it was not me. I am not a girl who flirts or wears cool clothes to fit in.

I took the thing off and slid back into the ­comfort of modesty. My mom knocked on the door. “Emily, are you okay?”

I wiped away my tears. “I’m fine.” I looked in the ­mirror again and saw a blond skinny girl with dorky ­glasses and a ponytail. I saw myself.

SunRae said...
i think that everyone can relate to this story in their own way. great job!

Alana H. said...
All i can say is WOW! (that's a good thing!)

KillerButterfly said...
I couldn't have written it any better. :) It's like a strong connection between me and this story. Absolutely astounding!

made-in.detroit said...
i think this is gud!

singdancelaugh123 said...
good for you. i know a lot of people who wouldnt be in touch with themselves nor brave enough to stay true to themselves. That is one thing i am constantly trying my hardest to do. This is a really good story.

StarlightStormcloud said...
May 13, 2010 at 2:17 am
I really love the conflicting emotions in this.  I knew a girl once who complimented my shirt and said she wished she could wear something like it.  I asked her why she didn't and she just said, "I'm not there yet."  I didn't really get that at all, wanting something so trivial like an item of clothing, yet knowing you weren't comfortable with it.  This is very insightful - kudos ;)

liisangel said...
Oh my ... well... that's just beautiful. You right there... just wrote me. That gave me everything I needed. I am not kidding... you have just inspired me. That is exactly how I am, how people describe me. I haven't yet chosen to wear a skirt but I am hoping one day I will be able to do something like that... find myself... see myself. Thank you for writing this. :)

ShadowFairy said...
I am glad that you chose to write this. Many people can relate to what you wrote, I can certainly relate to this myself. Thank you.  

KonyaB!!! This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...

Loved it.

Connectable. VERY connectable. :)

GracieLynn said...
i guess what i was trying ot say was be true to yourself. Take it from a girl who wears glasses and my hair is ALWAYS in a ponytail; you were made the way you are for reason. NEVER change that, especially from the world:)

GracieLynn said...
wow! i can relate to that SOOO much. It's great to see that i'm not the only one who feels like that.

wolfiemoon replied...
If you're not yourself, then who are you? Wonderful article.

JessieBecker said...

i like this(:

i can really connect with it.

Everhart said...
May 4, 2010 at 10:18 am
Wow. Powerful writing. Brilliant.

charzard said...
May 4, 2010 at 7:42 am
wow. i don't know what else to say about this other than wow. its pure power, pure truth. its not me; i wear short skirts, get asked out, and am the opposite of you, and its become me. that used to be me. no, i'm not insecure, i just changed. great article. truest thing i have read in a long while. great piece, emily.

mcpanicfanic said...
dont conform gurl. stay true to who you are and dont change unless YOU want to.

kagc411 said...
Good job not getting sucked into something that isn't you. It's not what other people think about you, or today's culture; it's what you think and feel about yourself that matters most.     :)

melodeess said...

this is great :)

you should always stay true to who you are, and you really expressed this in your writing. you go girl- having such great confidence! :] your writing is amazing too!

awesomeaugustThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I really liked this article if for no other reason than it is real. It's really real and raw and even though it ended on a rather sad note, I think it had a pretty positive message. I don't follow the trends that a lot of people seem to think are "in", but I wear mini skirts and I own a shirt from Aeropostale. Yes, the mini skirts might be from the salvation army and, yes, the shirt is a hand-me-down but I still wear them because I think they're cute. And I'm a dork, and so ar... (more »)

sailerc This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Love this article! Amazing writing.