The Skirt This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

I will be the first to say that I am not materialistic. My friends label me as a goody-goody; my parents say I am conservative and modest when it comes to clothes. I don’t wear bikinis, and none of my skirts or shorts end above my knees. That is my choice.

So why, why did I feel so tempted? My family and I were in Target, and there it was, waiting. A skirt, specifically designed not to cover anything. It was tan and looked like something one of those anime schoolgirls would wear.

I checked my purse. The skirt cost $10. I had the money. I could buy it. I imagined walking into school and my pals’ jaws dropping. Guys would ask me out, and I would be happy. I could buy it – no, I should buy it.

I showed my mother. She was surprised but said it was my decision. My sister looked on enviously.

I went into the dressing room to try it on. So sure was I that this skirt would change me, somehow make me not what I am but what I wished to be. I slid my jeans off and put it on. Now for the decisive moment. I looked in the mirror. There I was – a geeky girl in a Superman T-shirt and sneakers. My glasses fogged up as I started to cry.

The skirt did not change me. Though it fit well and might make me look good in the eyes of ­today’s world, it was not me. I am not a girl who flirts or wears cool clothes to fit in.

I took the thing off and slid back into the ­comfort of modesty. My mom knocked on the door. “Emily, are you okay?”

I wiped away my tears. “I’m fine.” I looked in the ­mirror again and saw a blond skinny girl with dorky ­glasses and a ponytail. I saw myself.

choirchick2013 said...
kudos to you for just being yourself, even if its not cool... i know wat u mean... i was tempted to try to fit in too, then i thought "is it worth it??" i found it wasnt, and u did too... dont change urself to please anyone but urself...
Thrush said...
This is amazing. I love it.
Nazneen replied...
Sept. 6, 2010 at 11:58 am
it is really nice...... ur writing is really nice..
SamiLynn said...
This is a very true article! I had the same feelings for a long time, when I finally tried on a pair of "shorty shorts." I had always hated them. Now I don't, but it's only because now was the right time for me to try them. I wouldn't have DARED before! Never wear something thst you're uncomfortable with!
_Christina_ This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Very well written and totally easy to relate to. Thank you for sharing this. I wish more people felt that way - stay true to yourself. 
XxStarBurstxX said...
I love this. I feel how you do..I sometimes feel tempted to wear those somewhat skimpy clothes, and sometimes I have but I just end up feeling uncomfortable. Don't bu upset for being comfortable and you..many people like you for that. And if some people don't then they miss out on knowing someone as honest out of the crowd as you.
CaityBug replied...
They're right, be yourself, no matter what anyone says, and you and everyone else will be more comfortable. All that matters is what you think of yourself. Remember that.
Katie_Potatie said...
Aug. 22, 2010 at 11:38 am
I connected immeidiatly. I've been there my WHOLE life. Just 2 years ago was my turning point. I'm a sophomore now and way different, but i cried in many of dressing rooms and I feel the pain. This is beautiful and I hope you never stop writing. =)
annika_katryn said...
your story was beautiful, as you, yourself, are beautiful. thank you for being who you are, and for sharing you with us.
RiverAnn said...

I know exactly how you feel- i feel uncomfortable in immodest clothing.  Way to go girl for staying true to yourself!

balla97 replied...
Girls with those short skirts are sexy
WritingLoverForever said...
Very evocative. I love it.
BrandieTamerian said...
Jul. 31, 2010 at 10:31 am
powerful! i really love this! It's deep yet easy to relate to, and i love this piece!!!
Macx14 said...
Jul. 20, 2010 at 9:04 am
I NEVER dress like that, but I see people every day who do. Personally, I think the bravest people are the ones who have the dignity not to put themselves out there like that all the time. Great writing!!
pmkenziep said...
MercedesXO said...
i love this.
Hippiechick10 said...

This story was true to heart, that clothes don't change who you are, that you will always show underneath glam and makeup and clothes. Great work! 

sarap611 said...
Finally! Someone who sees wearing clothes the way I do! I am the same way and have the same beliefs about modesty. Your story is touching, I can relate 100%. Keep writing!
cassidyasalways said...
Wow, this was so touching.. But more power to you girl! You don't need clothes to tell you who you are. And now you may be a dork, but later in life when people are still consumong their time with things that don't matter (like clothes) you'll be out in the world really making a difference. Don't let the world get you down(:
brunett97 said...
hey!  i love your name. its awesome. my name is the same and i love it. your article is super. can you check mine out people? i need another girls opinion  :)