The Skirt This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

I will be the first to say that I am not materialistic. My friends label me as a goody-goody; my parents say I am conservative and modest when it comes to clothes. I don’t wear bikinis, and none of my skirts or shorts end above my knees. That is my choice.

So why, why did I feel so tempted? My family and I were in Target, and there it was, waiting. A skirt, specifically designed not to cover anything. It was tan and looked like something one of those anime schoolgirls would wear.

I checked my purse. The skirt cost $10. I had the money. I could buy it. I imagined walking into school and my pals’ jaws dropping. Guys would ask me out, and I would be happy. I could buy it – no, I should buy it.

I showed my mother. She was surprised but said it was my decision. My sister looked on enviously.

I went into the dressing room to try it on. So sure was I that this skirt would change me, somehow make me not what I am but what I wished to be. I slid my jeans off and put it on. Now for the decisive moment. I looked in the mirror. There I was – a geeky girl in a Superman T-shirt and sneakers. My glasses fogged up as I started to cry.

The skirt did not change me. Though it fit well and might make me look good in the eyes of ­today’s world, it was not me. I am not a girl who flirts or wears cool clothes to fit in.

I took the thing off and slid back into the ­comfort of modesty. My mom knocked on the door. “Emily, are you okay?”

I wiped away my tears. “I’m fine.” I looked in the ­mirror again and saw a blond skinny girl with dorky ­glasses and a ponytail. I saw myself.

Macx14 said...
Jul. 20, 2010 at 9:04 am:
I NEVER dress like that, but I see people every day who do. Personally, I think the bravest people are the ones who have the dignity not to put themselves out there like that all the time. Great writing!!

pmkenziep said...
Jul. 9, 2010 at 10:59 pm:
LOVEEEEEE.!

MercedesXO said...
Jul. 9, 2010 at 9:21 pm:
i love this.

Hippiechick10 said...
Jul. 9, 2010 at 7:20 pm:

This story was true to heart, that clothes don't change who you are, that you will always show underneath glam and makeup and clothes. Great work! 

sarap611 said...
Jul. 9, 2010 at 6:50 pm:
Finally! Someone who sees wearing clothes the way I do! I am the same way and have the same beliefs about modesty. Your story is touching, I can relate 100%. Keep writing!

cassidyasalways said...
Jul. 9, 2010 at 6:14 pm:
Wow, this was so touching.. But more power to you girl! You don't need clothes to tell you who you are. And now you may be a dork, but later in life when people are still consumong their time with things that don't matter (like clothes) you'll be out in the world really making a difference. Don't let the world get you down(:

brunett97 said...
Jul. 4, 2010 at 10:17 pm:
hey!  i love your name. its awesome. my name is the same and i love it. your article is super. can you check mine out people? i need another girls opinion  :)

Lilliterra replied...
Jul. 9, 2010 at 12:51 pm :
That's my name too! I also have an article that I hope someone will check out. I like this article, I totally know what you mean. People say I have no fashion sense, but fashion just isn't really my thing.

soletmar said...
Jun. 17, 2010 at 4:36 pm:
honestly, i applaud you. seriously. its amazing that you have the courage to admit this to yourself. i am a strong believer that clothing is an expression of yourself. and yeah, some of my skirts are a bit short, but to me its just comfortable, and its not like trashy. however you feel yourself is how your clothing should be.

Fieldsofwind said...
Jun. 17, 2010 at 12:18 am:
It's always exciting to do something unexpected, but only if you're doing it for the right reasons. There's no need to change yourself to look cooler, so that boys will ask you out, so that you'll attract looks. Your talent alone is stunning, and enough to prompt someone like me [though I'm a girl] to crush on you. You have to believe that you're beautiful enough just as yourself [which sounds incredibly cliche, but is still true] to be worthy of love. I understand where you're coming from perfe... (more »)

TurtleShellTristani This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jun. 14, 2010 at 6:58 am:
you made a great desicision that lots of girls face, and you got an amazing story out of it. I love it!

SunRae said...
Jun. 2, 2010 at 8:00 pm:
i think that everyone can relate to this story in their own way. great job!

Alana H. said...
May 31, 2010 at 7:15 pm:
All i can say is WOW! (that's a good thing!)

KillerButterflyThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
May 26, 2010 at 7:38 pm:
I couldn't have written it any better. :) It's like a strong connection between me and this story. Absolutely astounding!

made-in.detroit said...
May 26, 2010 at 5:47 pm:
i think this is gud!

singdancelaugh123 said...
May 13, 2010 at 5:26 pm:
good for you. i know a lot of people who wouldnt be in touch with themselves nor brave enough to stay true to themselves. That is one thing i am constantly trying my hardest to do. This is a really good story.

StarlightStormcloud said...
May 13, 2010 at 2:17 am:
I really love the conflicting emotions in this.  I knew a girl once who complimented my shirt and said she wished she could wear something like it.  I asked her why she didn't and she just said, "I'm not there yet."  I didn't really get that at all, wanting something so trivial like an item of clothing, yet knowing you weren't comfortable with it.  This is very insightful - kudos ;)

liisangel said...
May 4, 2010 at 9:58 pm:
Oh my ... well... that's just beautiful. You right there... just wrote me. That gave me everything I needed. I am not kidding... you have just inspired me. That is exactly how I am, how people describe me. I haven't yet chosen to wear a skirt but I am hoping one day I will be able to do something like that... find myself... see myself. Thank you for writing this. :)

ShadowFairy said...
May 4, 2010 at 5:27 pm:
I am glad that you chose to write this. Many people can relate to what you wrote, I can certainly relate to this myself. Thank you.  

KonyaB!!! This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
May 4, 2010 at 4:54 pm:

Loved it.

Connectable. VERY connectable. :)