The Skirt This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

I will be the first to say that I am not materialistic. My friends label me as a goody-goody; my parents say I am conservative and modest when it comes to clothes. I don’t wear bikinis, and none of my skirts or shorts end above my knees. That is my choice.

So why, why did I feel so tempted? My family and I were in Target, and there it was, waiting. A skirt, specifically designed not to cover anything. It was tan and looked like something one of those anime schoolgirls would wear.

I checked my purse. The skirt cost $10. I had the money. I could buy it. I imagined walking into school and my pals’ jaws dropping. Guys would ask me out, and I would be happy. I could buy it – no, I should buy it.

I showed my mother. She was surprised but said it was my decision. My sister looked on enviously.

I went into the dressing room to try it on. So sure was I that this skirt would change me, somehow make me not what I am but what I wished to be. I slid my jeans off and put it on. Now for the decisive moment. I looked in the mirror. There I was – a geeky girl in a Superman T-shirt and sneakers. My glasses fogged up as I started to cry.

The skirt did not change me. Though it fit well and might make me look good in the eyes of ­today’s world, it was not me. I am not a girl who flirts or wears cool clothes to fit in.

I took the thing off and slid back into the ­comfort of modesty. My mom knocked on the door. “Emily, are you okay?”

I wiped away my tears. “I’m fine.” I looked in the ­mirror again and saw a blond skinny girl with dorky ­glasses and a ponytail. I saw myself.

lauraxinThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Sep. 10 at 10:41 pm:
I'm sure almost every girl can relate to this in some way. It's such a relatable story and full of feelings that I'm glad you took the time to write down.

dgeileenThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Sep. 6 at 3:09 pm:
This actually really reminds me of myself...I bought the skirt, but it's just sitting in my closet. Waiting for the day when I am the person who can wear the skirt, or for when the skirt doesn't fit me: whichever comes first.

Liv.HarrisThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Sep. 1 at 12:17 pm:
Wow, this almost perfectly describes me! I loved this sooooooo much! I am very glad this has so many comments, it's too god not to have this many. Keep being you, and keep inspiring!!!!

aranayaa said...
Apr. 26 at 9:50 am:
its really a good article and there are very few who believe in themselves and nt easily get iinfuencd by others...dressing sense is not somethng which defines the inner beauty:)

Godinspiresher43This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Apr. 12 at 3:58 pm:
Although I kinda understand where you're coming from I don't agree with you. If something doesn't agree with you internally and you do it anyway, it would definately change who you are.  I think  what you wear really does matter more than what you realize. It shows part of your character.  When a girl decides to dress modestly, it doesn't mean she's trying to cover up herself to hide. Instead it shows her dignity.

Apr. 12 at 3:47 pm:
This was a great article! Your narrative voice was awesome and you said in such few words and you still got your point across. I totally understand where you're coming from too. I like to stay modest and appropriate too. I don't like dressing trashy and wearing inappropriate clothes even if it's the "in thing to do." Don't ever compromise your morals even if it's the cool thing to do. I love this and I respect your choice for not buying the short skirt even though y... (more »)

CookieMonster24This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Apr. 8 at 4:38 pm:
Define 'cool clothes". ;) 

Nicolette4455This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Mar. 16 at 10:11 pm:
The idealization of clothing, and how one believes it is going to make them somehow better is so relatable. I absolutely love the line: "So sure was I that this skirt would change me, somehow make me not what I am but what I wished to be."  I hope you know you are beautiful, and not for your appearance, but for your words.

robininthesky said...
Mar. 13 at 5:21 pm:
This is a really great article. That being said, I hate it when people tell you to "be yourself." You get to decide who to be, and therefore whoever you are is yourself. The way you act is yourself. Wearing a short skirt won't change that. This article has a good message, which, as a fellow geeky girl, I appreciate, but wearing a short skirt does not mean that you aren't being true to yourself.

Its bakhtawar (: said...
Mar. 7 at 6:42 am:
Aww . C'mon be yourself . Have your own simple and different personality . Cheers (;

ramfthomas4This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 28 at 9:37 pm:
This happens to me.  ALL.  THE.  TIME. You'd think I would learn...

LydCB said...
Feb. 19 at 11:55 am:
"Be yourself - everyone else is taken" :)

Silent_Angel said...
Feb. 3 at 4:37 pm:
"Being something you aren't is the ugliest thing you can be"

shykk.shykk said...
Jan. 19 at 6:57 pm:
..'yeahh.being you is better than pretending.. you don't need to change your ways to impress the people who just like and appreciate the outer appearence.. :)

Blizzard said...
Jan. 16 at 9:16 pm:
Amazing!! Every girl needs to read this!  

shaw74 said...
Jan. 16 at 7:55 am:
I like your story. Always be yourself and don't change for anybody.

Hinako_Ichikawa said...
Jan. 9 at 11:32 am:
I think the all schoolgirl in high school interest in fashion and how I am looked by other person and it is common over the world. I like go shopping and buy clothes.We must study but I think to interest in fashoin and improve myself as a woman. So I think you had a special good experience.

hannaj15 said...
Your self seems to be pretty awesome!

PlaguedLily said...
Oct. 23, 2013 at 11:58 am:
I've been in this same situation, and the message you portray is just awesome. =w=

awesomeyyy said...
This is very true, all lot of girls go through this. I'm glad you finally found yourself in the end. :)