The Change | Teen Ink

The Change

By a.l.82895 BRONZE, Lexington, Nebraska
a.l.82895 BRONZE, Lexington, Nebraska

August 19, 2010 was a very life changing experience for me. That day was the day that my sister left to college. It changed my life in many ways because it forced me to grow up and change. I always depended on my sister for any problem that I would face. On that specific day I was forced to become more independent.

I remember being in the car driving to Lincoln with my sister at my side. I remember that it felt like we were just going on vacation because my whole family was there. We arrived at Lincoln and we got all my sister’s stuff off of the car and took it to her dorm. We stayed there for a while and we helped her set up her room. Then we went to the store to buy food and other stuff that we forgot to buy her. When we finished paying we took her back to her dorm and said our goodbyes. I remember the awful feeling I had when I hugged her and said goodbye to her. It felt horrible to think that she would not be with us on the way back and she wouldn’t be at our house anymore during the weekdays. I thought and I thought about how she wouldn’t be there to help me with my problems or just be there to talk to. Of course she said we would talk on the phone and on facebook, but I knew that it would not be the same as having her with me everyday of my life.

When I got home that day I lay down on my bed and pondered about how my life would be now. I knew that it would not be the same. I mean I still had my parents, my brother, and my grandma, but a big part of my life was now going to be missing. I remember feeling so lonely and wanting to just burst out into tears. Now, some people think that I would be happy that she went to college, but they don’t understand how close her and I are. We are now just sisters; we are best friends. No one will ever understand our bond. As I was assessing the changes that were happening I became conscious of the fact that I would have to mature. Now I was on my own and I had to face my problems without my big sister around. I was so used to my sister always being there to defend me and being there to make sure everything was all right. From that day on, I changed as a person. I became more independent and learned to mature a little more.

Overall, I think that the day that my sister left to college was huge day for me. I became more independent after that day. I am still really close to my sister and we still talk and both enjoy when she comes back to Lexington. I love her so much and I know that she is still there for me. I appreciate my sister always being there for me when I was younger. She is not always here now, but I know that I had to grow up one day and I guess my day came. I really do feel like I have changed for the good and I learned that I should not depend on someone to fix my problems. Her leaving forced me to grow up and look at life in a different way.