Talking To Photos | Teen Ink

Talking To Photos

Our family drove two hours in an old green mini-van to Oregon, Illinois. My Uncle Tom and Aunt Susie has lived in the same house for as long as I can remember. They have had numerous renovations done to their home. They've installed a pool, new ceramic tile flooring and dark brown cabinets in their kitchen. They also painted their house beige, and re-did their entire basement which includes: a refrigerator, brand new bathroom, and forty-six inch television.

When we arrived at my aunt's house, I noticed their boat was as shiny as a pearl. My sisters and I brought our swim gear and sun-tan lotion to prepare for riding the boat on the Rock River. The boat was white and had yellow stripes. The boat contained a portable bathroom at the back end. Once my sisters and I greeted Uncle Tom, Auntie Susie, Grandpa, and Grandma, we picked out a comfortable life jacket. I chose a tiny red one with black straps that easily adjusted to my eight year old figure.

We left my aunt and uncle's house to drive to the Rock River. It took less than two minutes to get to the river because it was down the street. When uncle Tom slid the boat into the river, everyone stepped on to claim their seat. Uncle Tom was captain of the boat because he knew how to control any situation. My uncle Tom and I are close to one another. There are many jokes we share with each other including one where we talk with Italian accents. He's Tony and I am Vinny. My Uncle Tom used to tell me, "Vinny its been a week and you still don't got my money." I'd reply by saying, "Alright alright, I'll have your 50 G's by tonight." And then he'd say, "meet me by the bridge at 10 o'clock. Don't disappoint me" and give me a firm handshake.

The boat sped up and I was in the backseat with my dad. That summer, my hair was turning the blondest its ever been. "Your hair is practically white", my dad would say. I didn't care about my image when I was younger, so I didn't mind having white hair. We brought a cooler of water, pop, beer, and sandwiches. I always brought a few Yoo-hoo chocolate drinks because I couldn't live without them. I felt the strong breeze weaving through my hair as my dad touched the back of my neck with his freezing hairy hands. My least favorite part of the boat ride was putting on sun-tan lotion because it made my eyes sting so much I wanted to die. I refused to put lotion on my face that day. Wow, that was a mistake.

"Who wants to go first?" Uncle Tom says with excitement as the boat slows to a stop. "Me Me Me", my sisters and I yelled while rushing to grab the best inner tube. My little sister, Ellie, and I decided to ride the two seater. The tube was dark purple and it was named, Slice. Uncle Tom attached the yellow rope to the front of the tube and then my sister and I carefully got on while keeping our balance. I heard the rumbling sound of the boat engine and felt the cold water as I rested my hands in the river. When the boat reached its maximum speed, Ellie and I braced each other with great amounts of force. "Lean to the other side", I yelled to Ellie as the tube tilted. Boom. I skidded across the river like a flattened rock. Once I regained consciousness, I felt as if my organs were mixed together like an unfinished jigsaw puzzle. Let's just say that was it for the day.