The Color Black | Teen Ink

The Color Black

January 18, 2011
By Jackie527 BRONZE, Winterville, North Carolina
Jackie527 BRONZE, Winterville, North Carolina
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Ever since I was little, I have loved the color black. When I was three, people would ask what my favorite color was, expecting a color like pink or yellow, you know, normal colors a three year old girl would like. But I would always say black, and the person would always say to my mom “Did I hear her correctly”? Weird, I know, from one of the girliest of girly girls. I mean there is nothing wrong with any other colors, I basically love all colors, but there is something special about black. Other colors come and go with the seasons, a $400 pumpkin sweater-dress in Autumn 2009 may have been the hippest thing around, but if you wore that same sweater-dress in 2010, it would be considered a fashion faux-pas. While that little black dress that you paid $50 bucks for 15 years ago will do you right year after year. Yet black always gets a bad rap. People label black as “boring”, “dull”, or “plain”. But black is none of the above, well scratch that, black doesn’t have to be any of the above. Any color, or really anything in life, can be boring or dull if that is what you, in your mind want it to be. I truly believe that everything is worth no more, or less, than what you make it out to be. Black is like the cute sweetheart of a guy who sits in the back of your physics class, that would be perfect for you, but you would never think to talk to him. Why? Because you are too busy with red, or pink, or green or whatever color applies to you, the jock who may be popular with your friends and your reputation but there is nothing to think about, there is no depth. It’s like those bubblegum pink couture heels you bought, they looked awfully cute on the surface, but you got to know them on a “deeper level” (in the shoes case, finding an outfit to wear them with) there was nothing there, and in the end they were just a cute pair of shoes that took up space in your closet, but never got worn (or in the jock’s case, just a pretty face that ended up being a jerk you had nothing in common with.) Now you, the reader, can interpret this piece however you wish. You can take it at face value, and add some black to your wardrobe and look a whole lot chicer. Or you can apply the lessons to your life, however you see fit. And the lesson of this is, if there ever was one, is to never doubt the ability, stamina, or worth of anything in life. You just may need to look at it through a different pair of shades.

The author's comments:
A bottle of Nail Polish and a shirt from H&M inspired me.