Untitled | Teen Ink

Untitled

I am a proud senior of Arrowhead high school who has experienced Arrowhead driving and traffic for two and a half years. I am well pleased with the drop-off system at South campus. It is very convenient to have multiple doors for students and parents to drop off there kids at. Although, I feel part of Arrowhead could be and should be safer.

The first day of school arrived. I was earlier than normal because I was excited to be with all my friends again and had to take my younger brother to south campus. Traffic was fairly heavy as I made my way to the south entrance of Arrowhead. I dropped my brother off at door B, as well as another car behind me. There were 4 cars ahead of me inside the lane designated for drop-off by the office. I veered to the left to pass the cars who were still waiting for their kids to leave. The two cars behind me followed. As i was nearing the first car in line I slowed down, unaware if they had noticed me. Without looking the driver pressed the accelerator. Immediately after, the breaks. An accident waiting to happen. An accident involving 3 or more cars. An accident that can be prevented. One simple sign.

Because of the high school setting, new drivers forget or don't realize it is their job to check their mirrors before driving away. Drivers are alert to signs because they show a potential accident scene. If this drop-off area was intended for one lane of cars, it would only have one lane, but it has two lanes. The potential accident has been occurring where these two lanes merge because of confusion of who has right away and who should yield.

Unfortunately, I am not the only one to have had this experience. In the past two months of school I have witnessed 3 other potential accidents.

As part of Arrowhead staff you should be proud to say your school is safe. I feel Arrowhead would be safer if you placed a yield sign at the beginning of the drop off line by the South Campus office. It’s up to you to take action into making Arrowhead a safer community for kids and drivers.

I hope you take my consideration to thought and put your thoughts into actions.. If you wish to contact me, you may use the address above. Thank you for taking your time to read this letter

This is an advocacy letter written to Arrowhead High School