Sinking Boat | Teen Ink

Sinking Boat

By michael Tonacchio BRONZE, Colts Neck, New Jersey
michael Tonacchio BRONZE, Colts Neck, New Jersey

Some people think that after you’ve been fishing for a while, they think nothing bad is going to happen to them. I’ve been fishing since I’m three, so that’s what I thought until two years ago when my boat started sinking. I didn’t think that anything bad was going to happen that day when I was shark fishing, so I wasn’t prepared for this horrific situation.

We had bait and chum in the water, so there were sharks around us and we were thirty miles offshore and in 150 ft. of water, sinking fast. What happened was the air conditioning hose popped and the whole engine room filled with water. Luckily, there was a shark tournament going on, so there was a lot of near us and me, my brother and one of my dad’s friends hopped on another boat, which took us back. An hour later the coast guard eventually got to our boat and pumped the water out just in time. They followed my dad as he drove the boat home.

My brother and I got back first. We had tears in our eyes and we were very nervous because we didn’t know if the coast guard made it there in time. Everything turned out ok, but still to this day I check the engine room constantly, always remembering that day, that unlucky horrible day.