Helping Kari | Teen Ink

Helping Kari

By Seth Jones BRONZE, Elmwood, Wisconsin
Seth Jones BRONZE, Elmwood, Wisconsin

What started out as an eventful night got more interesting by the end. I was waiting for something funny or exciting to happen, and it finally did. When Alli finally left we were informed approximately five minutes later that her mom, Kari, had gotten stuck in my friend Kyle’s driveway. Naturally, being the good kids we were, we went out to help her.

It was a Saturday night in the middle of January, and we were all over at Kyle’s house for his party. Everyone had left except for Josh, Tom, Alli, Kyle, and I. It was a little bit past midnight, and we were just sitting downstairs, watching Step Brothers when Kari finally came to pick up Alli. I was just about to fall asleep when Kyle’s little brother, Nick, came downstairs and told us that we need to go outside and help Kari. I had no idea what was going on, but we got our winter clothes on and went outside with Kyle’s dad.

When we got outside all of us could see the back end of Kari’s car dug a few feet into the snow. I was thinking to myself, “This won’t take that long. We’ll be back inside the nice, warm house in less than ten minutes.” It ended up taking a little bit longer than that. We were out there trying to get her car out of the snow for about forty-five minutes.

First, we tried pushing her farther down the driveway with her steering back into the middle. That turned out to be an epic failure. It just got it stuck even worse. We tried numerous other things to try to get her out, all of which also failed. Finally, after a long time of shoveling and rocking the car back and forth through the snow, we got her out. She made it successfully down the rest of the driveway without our help. This whole time Alli didn’t even offer to come out of the car and help, but she wasn’t the only one who didn’t help. When we finally got back inside I saw nick sitting there under a blanket, still watching our movie.

If I was in Kari’s situation, hopefully someone would do the same thing for me. I’m sure she was extremely appreciative of us coming out into the cold and helping her get the car unstuck. Sometimes it’s good to help people out even though you would rather be inside a nice warm house watching a movie.