Advocacy Letter | Teen Ink

Advocacy Letter

By Haley Hyland SILVER, Pewaukee, Wisconsin
Haley Hyland SILVER, Pewaukee, Wisconsin

Dear Mom and Dad,

I really appreciate the things you have done for me these past years. You both have been there for me no matter what, showing me right from wrong and ways in being responsible. This is my last year of high school and I would like to start getting the feel of what the real life is going to feel like. And by doing so, I want to show you that I can apply those things you’ve taught me by having more freedom and a later curfew.

I have realized there are many reasons why you want me home at an earlier hour. I do also understand that one of the major reasons why you guys don’t want me out late is because of the recent accident I got in driving home late at night, but it was a very frightening experience and I have definitely learned a lesson and I’m much more cautious driving at night. When I make plans, it’s hard spending time with friends who work because they usually work until a late hour like nine and aren’t able to hang out till after and having to be home at eleven and not being able to spend the night anywhere doesn’t give me much time to spend with them. By having a later curfew and the ability to spend the night somewhere gives me more freedom and time with friends.

I’m very lucky to have parents who love and care about me so much, but I want you to understand that I am growing up and want to experience the real life a little before that time comes. In college I’ll be making my own decisions and setting my own curfew and I want to be ready to do so.

Thank you for taking the time and reading this letter, I hope we can discuss further on your opinions and feelings about setting a later curfew.

Sincerely,

Haley

Wanting a later curfew with me getting older.