My Home and Future | Teen Ink

My Home and Future

By Hockeygirl SILVER, Nashotah, Wisconsin
Hockeygirl SILVER, Nashotah, Wisconsin

I step out on the solid glass and glide forward. The cold seeps through my light jacket and hits my skin. The cold stings my lungs as I inhale. I lean forward and let my skates go. The wind whips through my hair and lashes at my face and hands. The sound of my skates against the ice is music to my ears. The smell reminds me of all the amusing times at all the ice rinks in the last 7 years. As I take my second lap, I relax – I am home.
All my years of skating feels like they have added up to this one point. Here I am with the elite of Minnesota,skating with girls that switchedhockey teams so they can make it to this recruiting festival. And I have been selected to be here.As my skates hit the ice, I reflect to all the work-outs I did to be prepared for this very week. I reminisce when my mom expressed thatI made it. I never thought it was possible. From great happiness, tears trickled down my face. Here I am with the elite of Minnesota. I surprised myself…again.
When I get off the ice, my parents had a sweatshirt waiting for me - a souvenir with just 2010 Junior Festival written on the front. Clutching it, I knew that I didn’t need it to remember that week, but it would be nice to take something home. Minnesota Junior Festival, I couldn’t fathom making it. I surprised myself…again.
A few months later, coaches were calling, requesting me to visit their colleges. They selected my name out of the list. They saw me in Minnesota and picked my name. Carly. My hockeyability earned me a double glance. I surprised myself…again.
Meaning strong one or little champion, my name describes me.I am strong, not in any physical means, but I don’t give up. I will keep going as long as there is another level to reach or if someone is in my review mirror. I am a little champion every time I reach one of my goals. My hockey career taught me to keep trying and surprising yourself is the best reward. The ice rink - my home – helped me achieve my future in college.