Advocacy Letter | Teen Ink

Advocacy Letter

January 17, 2011
By Evan Pollock SILVER, Delafield, Wisconsin
Evan Pollock SILVER, Delafield, Wisconsin
7 articles 0 photos 0 comments

November 11, 2010

Southwest Airlines Co.
Customer Service
P.O. Box 36647-1CR
Dallas, TX 75235

Dear Southwest Airlines Co. Customer Service,

I am a passenger that has become acquainted with Southwest after it opened a hub in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. I have been pleased with your strong reputation, your welcoming staff, and your perception of passengers’ needs. Even so, I am writing to inform you of some issues I’ve had with your “No Assigned Seat” boarding system.

In June of 2010, I had my first flight experience with your airline—my family and I had planned to go to Nevada to visit relatives. Upon arriving at the departure gate, we discovered we would be among the last passengers to board based on our “zone.” My family and I entered the plane to see dozens of single-riders sitting with the middle seat empty between them for remaining passengers to claim. Being a family of five, we were hoping to sit together; however, my family of two adults and three children were not able to. Apart from my family’s unfortunate dispersal throughout the aircraft, the boarding process was quite slow and our flight did not depart on time.

As an airline with such a strong reputation for customer service, I expect you not only want to accommodate single passengers, but families as well. Of the four Southwest flights I’ve ridden on, Southwest has been nothing short of excellent––except for this one crucial aspect. What can you do to improve my flight experience in the future?

Please feel free to contact me. Thank you for your patience and consideration.

Respectfully,

Evan