Untitled | Teen Ink

Untitled

By Natalie Feder SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
Natalie Feder SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin

Twinkling lights on the tree, a fire crackling, football on the television, and family gathered together are the reasons why Christmas is the most wonderful time of the year. There is nothing better than the cozy feeling of being cuddled in a blanket with a cup of hot chocolate listening to the stories and conversations of those around you. Creating memories and sharing moments. Christmas.

Something about Christmas gets me every year. It’s in my name—Natalie, the Christmas child, born a mere four days short of Christmas. It makes for a chaotic week filled with laughter and celebration. Family is in town from Pennsylvania and every inch of the house is occupied. My favorite part is waking up every morning to the sent of cinnamon rolls baking in the oven and quiet chatter coming from the floor below. I come downstairs to see my aunts, uncles and grandparents sitting around enjoying a cup of coffee while my mom is tending breakfast in the kitchen. They greet me with a “morning princess” and I join them around the table. The day is filled with shopping, football games, and more food than anyone could eat in a week. And after the little ones have gone to bed Granny searches the TV guide for the evening’s holiday movie. Another day complete. Christmas.

The twenty-fifth comes around and it’s another day like the rest but something about it is more special. Nothing to do but exchange gifts, eat and relax in pajamas. There’s no where to go and no jobs to do. No appointment but the one with my family. The one day I look forward to all year. Christmas.