Musical Makes a Difference | Teen Ink

Musical Makes a Difference

January 14, 2011
By Jenna21 SILVER, Essex, Connecticut
Jenna21 SILVER, Essex, Connecticut
6 articles 0 photos 0 comments

I can remember my parents listening to songs by the great artist Frank Sinatra, when I was a little girl, and I knew all of the words and always sang along. Even at such a young age, I was interested in music and singing. Music was a way that I could be a part of something important in my family’s life. Today, being a part of Valley Regional High School’s musical program is something important in my life.
I realize what an amazing experience musical is, when I think back on the first day of auditions my freshman year. High school was new to me and I was still trying to get a feel for it. All of the students in the show made me feel right at home. Everyone is so friendly and helpful and makes you feel so important. Being a part of this program over the past few years, I have gotten to know so many wonderful people. I have created bonds and friendships that I will never forget. My friends in musical are like brothers and sisters to me; that’s how close everyone is.
But being a part of this extracurricular activity is not only about the people you meet. It gave me confidence to just be silly and be myself. I felt like nothing could touch me when I was standing tall up on that stage. I push myself every year to do my best and I create goals that I want to accomplish. I go into every audition the same way; with an open mind and just being prepared and excited about anything that happens. My first year, our show was Beauty and the Beast. I was so excited because I had found out that I was an understudy to Mrs. Potts, one of the leads and I would also be in the ensemble. Sophomore year we put on The Sound of Music and I was so surprised to find out that I had actually gotten the part of Marta Von Trapp, the second youngest of the Von Trapp children. This year, the musical we are doing is Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. I went into the auditions knowing that a lot of talented people were trying out for lead roles and I kept such a positive attitude throughout the entire process. I received the role of the Toymaker’s wife and I also get to be in some ensemble scenes. To me, being a part of the ensemble feels just as important as having a role; and the directors and cast members have a huge part in making me feel that way.
Everyone in musical has an important position. Each person builds the bond and trust among one another. This makes it so everyone can count on each other and the chemistry creates an amazing show. This experience has also taught me about dedication and commitment. Most of the time, cast members would rehearse for five nights a week, four hours each night. I really learned how to balance my every day school work and rehearsals. Both academics and extra curricular activities are so important to me and that’s why I always make sure I have plenty of time for both.
Musical has helped me feel like I am really a part of something. On the last performance my sophomore year, I was so ecstatic because everyone had just given everything they had into the show we had just put on. But I was really going to miss the seniors who would be graduating and moving on to college. I remember before the last show, everyone was taken into the auditorium; no one knew what was going to happen. All of a sudden, the curtains opened up and all of the guys were standing on stage. The music came on and the guys danced and sang the song “My Girl” to everyone in the audience. That moment really showed how everyone in musical cared about each other and we all meant so much to one another.
That moment made me realize that this is something I love doing and it’s made me the person I am today. I will never forget this experience in my life because it not only gave me something to look forward to and work for, but it gave me so many memories that I will always cherish.

The author's comments:
In this essay I describe what a big impact musical has in my life.