The lady who changed me

One person will change your life. Maybe its your true love, your mom, or your dad, but maybe its someone that you barely even know. Maybe their smile brings you courage. You may not know it but someone is there for you, whether it is apparent or not. When I think about the people in my life, I realize that they shape me in a different way. They teach me right from wrong and I am changed by them, but not like that one person. For me, that person isn't someone I see every day, or every week. I don't go to her house, I don't know her name, and she probably doesn't know mine. She treats me like a dear friend when I pass her, but we do not know each other. She is the woman who sits perched against the back of a restaurant. She holds a cup containing a few coins. She does not beg but I know she needs the money. I still remember when I brought her a bag filled with food, gloves, and a ratty old sweater. She rose from her fixed stature, perched against the cold stone wall and hugged me. She thanked me and said “god bless you.” I drove away knowing that I had helped her. I knew the food wouldn't last and she would soon forget me, but I promised not to forget her. Seeing the joy in her face from receiving what I consider bare necessities brought a very melancholy feeling to the pit of my heart. I can still remember the look on her face as I walked away. I don't know her, and she doesn't know me, but that hug of gratitude still haunts me. It taught me you don't need everything to be happy. She also taught me what might not seem like a lot to you, could change someone else's life. So lend a hug, a kind word, or a smile because I bet theres someone that you may unknowingly touching. Who changed your life? Whose life will you change?

Charly11d7 said...
So true! I love this story! keep writing! :)