Open Letter to Coaches | Teen Ink

Open Letter to Coaches

By Alexataylor21 BRONZE, Mt. Prospect, Illinois
Alexataylor21 BRONZE, Mt. Prospect, Illinois

Dear Coach,

Yes, Ill admit through your coaching career you've caused continuous conference championships and several sectional and state runs, but it was only luck: only luck becasue we live in a wealthier area, more people can afford to play club, so therefore we have more girls from the team with more experience. Your morals are that of a four year old who is still in the sensorimotor stage of development, and hasn't developed any morals yet. Your negative attitude is not beneficial. Repeatedly saying "Shes gonna miss this point.", "Shes gonna miss this point." is not exactly what the team wants to hear. Also I know you have your favorites: tall, blond, and skinny girls, so just admit it already. Having those girls sit out during conditioning just becasue they're "sore" isn't exactly fair. Your fake smile and attitude of I'm-still-a-teenager doesn't make you any more "kid-cool". It's funny that when we make jokes about you and you hear them you laugh too. If you weren't all about your self and could see things from others point of view you might actually be respected. Nothing that really matters in life, matters to you when your coaching: leadership, attitude, work ethic, and passion. All you seem to be concerned about is who is the tallest or who is the funniest. That one girl, you know who I'm talking about, who sat on the bench this whole season deserved to play. She was better then the other girl in her position by far. She had an extremely efficient work ethic, a positive attitude, and was also talented, but again you let your favoritism ways take over and played the girl you liked the most. Also inflating stats shows you have the least bit of integrity. Giving me the right stats and adding a few more points to your selective favorites is uncalled for. According to the book "Coaching Successfully." "A stable coaching philosophy must be developed before becoming a coach." " Coaches should keep a similar discipline method and treat all players equal." This just proves my point again; you're not a TRUE successful coach! Only approximately 3% of us high school players will ever go on to NCAA so why does it matter? You should play your seniors the most since it's there last year here and give them all the awards and recognition. I thought sports were suppose to be fun, but playing on your team is hell. I love the game and want to pursue it, but coaches like you make me ponder this. You stay up for hours watching game film and making up line-ups. This isn't the world series, world cup, or Superbowl it's a simple high school game. I wish I could say that my four years with this program were enjoyable and that there were no politics and that no one got screwed over, but unfortunately I can't, and I can't wait till the seasons over. I'm counting down the days until i can actually finish my homework at night or sleep in on a Saturday morning. I hope that karma comes to you. I don't like to wish bad upon people, but since Ive heard you wish bad against your athletics, other athletics, and other coaches, I don't mind.I guess I have one thing to thank you for: Thank you for teaching me that when I'm a coach to do everything the opposite of you.

on Jan. 27 2011 at 8:32 am
softballfreak42 GOLD, Holmdel, New Jersey

-DARE TO BE DIFFERENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
-A love story gone wrong. But that doesn't mean it wasn't a love story.
-Where there is no struggle, there is no strength.
-When writing the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen.

Way to speak your mind! That was really well-written and I loved reading it. Keep it up! =)

like OMG I hate coach as well! worst coach evarrr! -_-