Nostalgia | Teen Ink

Nostalgia

By Michelle Wang SILVER, Herndon, Virginia
Michelle Wang SILVER, Herndon, Virginia

Nostalgia, defined as a bittersweet longing for things, persons, or situations of the past— key phrase: bittersweet longing, or wanting something you’ll never have. In this case, it’s wanting something you’ll never get back. Perhaps it is one of the greatest guilty pleasures known to man-kind. All of us have been in those situations before. Reflection, and in some cases, dwelling on what once was such a sweet past.

However, one day a few months back, in the midst of my nostalgia, a friend brought up a good point to me. We may linger on the good times, but the past will always lead to our current day situations. We can wish for the past all we want. We can wish to relive those certain happy sectors of the road We’ve already walked on all we want. We can wish to be with the same people we once were with all we want, but all the good moments, all those good times, all those good people will always find a way to the slump we now call the present. So there really is no reason to dwell at all. There really is no reason to remember or reflect the good times whatsoever, is there?