Friend, Lost | Teen Ink

Friend, Lost

By stefunnierthanu SILVER, West Bloomfield, Michigan
stefunnierthanu SILVER, West Bloomfield, Michigan

Some people only make an appearance in your life. Many believe that these briefly appearing people are insignificant, but I tend to disagree. They’ve shaped me like a sculptor shapes clay. Without them I would be a shapeless lump, not worth anything. With their influence I become an ornate vase, intricate and alive. If we only look at empirical data I only knew Julie for about a fifth of my life. Some would say, “That’s hardly enough time to do anything.” So, let’s compare… I’ve known my friend Lauren for fourteen years. That’s almost three fourths of my life. Yet her impact has been minimal. Sure, she’s definitely had one, but Julie’s was much more profound and meaningful. She really knew me. She knew all of me- as much as high school me was able to divulge at least, and I’m grateful for that. She gave me the courage to talk to guys. She gave me the courage to wear my hair down. She gave me the courage to believe in myself. She gave me the courage to love myself. She told me the truth- she set me free. She helped get me where I needed to be. She always cheered me on. She supported me in everything. Whether I was right or wrong she stood by my side. She told me when I was being irrational. She saved me from so many mistakes. She loved me and made me feel special. She helped me grow my own strength. Without her I don’t know who I’d be- lonely, quiet, meek. She told me she when was sorry, and I know that she meant it. We had our moments good and bad. She kissed my forehead and wished me good luck, and told me I deserved everything. She showed me that real people can wear red lipstick. She told me that I deserved better, to forget him, get revenge (with a hottie, of course), and to have fun. I got to see her vulnerable side. She told me she’d always be there for me, and I hope I will always be able to hear her voice saying, “come on, Steph”. Julie is dead and gone now, but her impact on my life will live on forever.

RIP Julie. 1992-2010