World Peace | Teen Ink

World Peace

By Hannah Evilsizor BRONZE, Oalthe, Kansas
Hannah Evilsizor BRONZE, Oalthe, Kansas

Franklin D. Roosevelt said, “The structure of world peace cannot be the work of one man or one party or nation. It must be a peace which rests on the cooperative effort of the whole world.” Just like Roosevelt, I dream is of world peace.

For as long as I can remember the U.S.A has been at war or about to go to war with another part of the world. On September 11th I was five years old. I remember hearing on the news that we would now go to war. Although I was only five years old, I wondered why people would do things to hurt others. Now that I am older I can understand why people think war is the only way. But I think a more peaceful and effective way could be found to solve problems.

In 2003 America and its allies went to war with Iraq. I think we were scared of what could happen if we didn’t. our country had had reason to be but, going to war with Iraq over September 11th has cost many people their lives. In my opinion we should have taken a step back and looked at the situation and then dealt with the specific group of people that attacked us and not the whole country. We have been at war with Iraq for almost seven years, although we have made some progress in Iraq we also caused more anger and hate towards the U.S.A. Now we are so deep into it that it would be dangerous to pull out.

It costs 13 million dollars to build one missile, imagine if that money were spent on something more important like feeding an entire school of children for five years. That would go much farther in achieving world peace, as well as malnutrition.
There are about 41 wars being fought in the world today. Most of these are traditional warfare, but there are some that do not include fighting. The Korean War began in 1950 and lasted until 1953. Even though both sides have ceased firing, there still has not been a peace treaty signed. If world peace were achieved we could focus our attention on other important problems facing our world like poverty, illiteracy, and disease prevention.

World peace would solve and stop a lot of other world issues. It would take away a variety of obstacles. War causes pain, death, destruction, and it is expensive. Peace would cause us to grow stronger as a people and all people would feel valued. Peaceful solutions are far better for everyone.