Don’t Forget What Makes You Who You Are. | Teen Ink

Don’t Forget What Makes You Who You Are.

December 19, 2010
By x11dancerbabii BRONZE, Commack, New York
x11dancerbabii BRONZE, Commack, New York
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Nicole. I don’t have a long fancy story behind my name, like most people do. My parents just liked the name Nicole. I think I’d have to agree with them. I like my name; it reminds me of a young, fun girl. The only thing I hate is that it is such a common name. Walking in the hallways, hearing my name being thrown around, I never know if their talking to me. Nicole means victory of the people. That doesn’t really fit me or who I am as a person. But then again, it’s just a name, a word, a simple little word that doesn’t make me who I am, as much as the experiences that have truly shaped me into who I am today.

There are so many different traits that can make up a person. One of the most important traits I possess is open- minded. I exhibit this trait everyday through my actions. This trait came out in me about 9 years ago. When I found out my brother Danny was diagnosed with autism, it made me look at the world in a completely different way. When I watch him struggle with the little things most people take for granted, it honestly breaks my heart. The teachers who have come and gone ever since I was little have become like family. Unlike all the kids who were outside playing, running around, and having a good time, Danny was inside being taught how to do these simple everyday tasks.

Danny was only 16 months old when we found out he had autism. He never was able to participate in any of the things kids his age were doing. Maybe he won’t be that all-star baseball player or the man who gives the biggest speech in front of millions, but he is going to make something of his life. Danny is by far the smartest 9 year old you will ever meet. He has a photographic memory and can spell things I can’t even pronounce. All his hard work will pay off sooner or later.

Any or every time I can, I try my best to help him succeed. Ever since this first started, I would sit at every meeting. I always try my best t0o put him in the right positions to do well and try to interact with others. It’s not always the easiest thing to do, but I would never in a million years give up on him. I know it’s going to have a positive effect on him in the future.

Watching him makes me realize how lucky I really am. The thought of being put in his shoes everyday really makes me wonder. This experience made me look at the world through a totally different pair of eyes. Open minded would be the best trait to describe how I was changed by this experience. I will never judge people before getting to know them, I never was the type of person to judge someone, but my experience with my brother makes me realize even more how important it is to be open- minded. It shows you have to put in perspective so many things when meeting new people. This made me truly understand everyone has to be open-minded, especially when meeting new people; I believe you should give everyone a fair chance. Everyone has something positive to offer to the world; it just may not be something you can see easily at first.

Nicole. Just your average girl living life through her experiences. Sometimes life’s a struggle and other times life is perfect. There’s always a light at the end of the tunnel. I believe everyone is a product of their experiences. Through every experience you show a different trait that makes you, you. My name is just a word given to me by someone else. I have to make that meaning to that word. Nicole. There is no limit to what I can become.