What's Done Is Done.. | Teen Ink

What's Done Is Done..

December 14, 2010
By bmiller BRONZE, Marengo, Iowa
bmiller BRONZE, Marengo, Iowa
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius, and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring." Marilyn Monroe


What’s Done is Done..

“What’s done is done and can’t be undone,” that’s a quote that has been told to me ever since I was young. The past is the past and you can’t undo your past. Sometimes it’s for the better and sometimes it’s for the worst. Decisions are everything that’s why our elders tell us to choose wisely. If we don’t, we may make mistakes; we learn from our mistakes, well most of them anyway, and move on. Friends and family have always been there for me when I make mistakes. When it comes down to it that is when you find out who matters, who doesn’t, who was playing make believe, and who wasn’t. Friends and family have and will always mean a lot to me. Not only have they been there for me when I make my mistakes, but they are there for me when I accomplish something big. They show me what really matters in life and without them, I wouldn’t be where I am today.
Growing up, I never really put much thought to family. Not until now do I see that family means a lot. I am lucky that I am from a larger family; there is a lot more love and support to go around. When I made mistakes in my past, my family was there for me; when I made accomplishments, my family was there for me, also. My family has always been very supportive. They are very open-minded. Even though we may fight we put away our differences and forgive. Like my dad and I.
My dad has always been there for me. We don’t always see eye to eye and we don’t always agree on everything, but we are still very close. When I was in eighth grade I went through a “rebellious” streak. Let’s just say it isn’t something I’m very proud of. When I was going through that phase, I lost my dad’s trust. When I lost that, I lost a lot. When I woke up in the morning it was: shower, go to school, come home, do homework, eat supper, and go to bed. I then realized that I was wrong and I apologized. Since then I have gained my dad’s trust back and we are closer than ever. My dad has always supported me. He keeps me going and tells me I can do anything if I set my mind to it. He gives me hope.
My whole family is supportive; they care. My grandpa being one of them comes to almost everything of mine: volleyball games, track meets, softball games, horse shows, you name it he is there and if he isn’t he is calling to see how it went. His daughters (my mom’s sisters) and I are really close along with my other aunts, my mom, and Josie. Josie isn’t related by blood, but we still classify her as part of the family. She is like another mom to me. I look to my aunts more as friends than family sometimes. I also get along well with my uncles. They protect me in any way possible. If I ever need anything I know who to call: my uncles.
Since my dad is from Kansas we don’t get to see his family as much, but we still keep in touch. My Grandma Green is amazing. Ever since I was little she made me blankets and the best food. I loved going down to see her. My Aunt Julie is my favorite. When I was in elementary I used to go down to Kansas every summer and stay with my aunt Julie, Uncle Jeff, and Jessica. I loved it, they treated me like I was their own daughter. I was never homesick. Jessica was more like an older sister or a friend to me and she showed me places I had never seen before.
My friends have always been a big part of my life. Everyone needs a best friend and many other friends. You always have different groups of friends in elementary, but that is where the elimination process begins. Elementary is where you learn who to trust, for that amount of time. I learned there is no use of getting mad at someone for taking my “boyfriend”, it’s not the end of the world. Also, I learned that there is no use in fighting with the other girls in the grade because then the parents get into it and we have to eat lunch in the counselor’s office and not go to recess.
Girl fights happened very frequently in my class. The effects of all of us fighting at the time were not fun. We had to stay inside for recess, eat lunch together, and to top things off people switched sides every other day so we were changing our minds so much we had no idea what was happening. Truthfully if they would have just let us get it all together by ourselves instead of forcing us to get along, I think we would have been better off. Today though, all of us girls, for the most part, are very close. We hardly ever fight anymore and we all get along. We’ve all had our differences and I believe that they have brought us closer. In the end, that’s all that matters.
One friend that I do not remember being in those fights is Meredith. Meredith and I have been friends ever since we were in diapers. We went to daycare together when we were just a few months old. Little did we know that we would be friends until this very day. When we were in elementary we weren’t extremely close, but today we are the best of friends. We do a lot together and of course, we do a lot with our boyfriends together too. Meredith is probably the best friend that I could ever ask for. She has been there for me through everything, and I have done the same for her. She is a friend that I do not want to lose. After all, every girl needs a best friend, right?
All of my friends are supportive, and I am supportive of them. I always have been. The ones that have known me the longest know that I usually do not wait to get things done, like I am with this. I am usually pretty creative and that is why I have chosen to do a scrap book. I am surprised that I chose it because I usually just like to get things done and this project will take time. Overall, I love my friends and through them I have learned a lot about myself. I am happy that I got to go to school with the girls that I did.

The past is the past and you can’t undo it. I am glad I can’t undo my past. My past is how I got to where I am today. I am not happy about everything I did in my past but there are many other things I am proud of in my past. I have made mistakes but I have learned from them and I have accomplished big things and I am happy I did. Meanwhile, my friends and family have been there the whole trip with me. Friends and family might not mean a whole lot to you, but to me they mean everything.

The author's comments:
I had to write something from my past for my portfolio in College English. I chose to write about friends and family and this is what i came up with.