A Lesson Learned | Teen Ink

A Lesson Learned

By emily ratliff BRONZE, Portland, Oregon
emily ratliff BRONZE, Portland, Oregon

One time in 4th grade I went to my friend’s house with out telling my grandparents. I didn’t get on the bus that day like I was supposed to. Instead I sat on the bench in front of the school. I watched all the other kids get into their parents car’s to go home. I was still there when all the other kids left.
I sat there by myself disappointed. I was disappointed in myself to think that someone was going to come and pick me up from school.
My mom’s friend came when I started to cry. My friend’s mom said, “aren’t you glad that we showed up?” I got up from the bench and rushed over to the car and got in happily. We went to her house. We got to her house and I though that it would be a good idea to call my grandma, to tell her where I was. I called and my grandma picked up the phone. I said, “Grandma!” She yelled at me, “Where are you?” Then I started to cry I thought my mom told my grandparents that I was going to my friend Megan’s house after school.

I cried because I didn’t do very well when people yelled at me. I cried because I knew I did something wrong and I made somebody worry about me.

My friend’s mom took me to my grandma’s house to get everything straightened out. I cried as I walked up my grandma’s steps and to the front door. She and my grandpa weren’t very happy with me. They grounded me for two weeks.

What I learned that day was that you need to ask permission and tell your mom and dad, or your grandma and grandpa where you are going because if you don’t you’ll in trouble like I did. You’ll also disappoint the people you can about and who care about you after this I always-double checked with my grandma.

I wrote this for a class. The topic was to write about a time when I learned an important lesson.

Lovely_Me BRONZE, El Monte, California

There is nothing to fear in Life it is only to be understood.

This was good I had a similar experience like this one.