Mis-Matched Cereal | Teen Ink

Mis-Matched Cereal

November 30, 2010
By Anonymous

Have you ever been in the state-of-mind where you know you are hungry but cannot decide what to eat? Or had the sensation where you want something different than the ordinary? I have experienced these mental states and have found the perfect solution: mixing cereal.

Mixing cereal was presented to me by my friend, Jessie. At first, the idea of merging different kinds of cereals repulsed me. I mean, combining Reese’s Puffs with Honey Bunches of Oats? I don’t know about you, but to me, that sounded disgusting.
Jessie and I were, and still are, big cereal eaters. Jessie had been mixing cereal since I can remember, always telling me to try the concoctions with me refusing. It was on that fateful day that I decided to take a step out of my comfort zone.
“You know what, Jessie?” I said to her. “I’m going to try this jumble of cereals with you.”
As I poured myself a bowl of Reese’s Puffs, Captain Crunch Berries, and Honey Bunches of Oats, I recall thinking how weird and gross this was going to taste. After pouring the milk and mixing the cereal, the bowl looked odd, almost wrong.
Right before the spoon arrived at my mouth; I looked at Jessie and said, “I can’t believe I’m doing this.”
My mouth exploded with flavor. The blend of the different flavors, like chocolate and fruity, was incredibly savory. Now, I eat cereal with mixes containing anything from Froot Loops to Frosted Mini Wheats.


My ideal bowl of cereal will forever be one containing a multitude of different cereal flavors. Mis-matched cereal is an excellent breakfast, lunch, supper, or even late-night snack. You can’t go wrong by eating a diversity of flavors in just one spoonful. Mixing has changed the way I think of cereal.

The author's comments:
This is my personal experience about cereal.