Nearly Kidnapped | Teen Ink

Nearly Kidnapped

By camiley654 BRONZE, Mesa, Arizona
camiley654 BRONZE, Mesa, Arizona

It was a perfect day at the park until my imagination got the best of me. I’ll be honest, I do over react, but when you are four years old your imagination runs wild like a chimpanzee hyped up on caffeine.

I circled the park a hundred times while my mom sat on a bench and watched. I really liked the park. It had the rusty monkey bars that spun in a circle and gave you blisters, even though I couldn’t do it by myself. Double slides that you would race down even if you tied every time. But my favorite accessory of the jungle gym was the spyglass where you could see as far as the ramada ten feet away. “This is great,” I thought, “I have the whole park to myself, besides Mom of course.”

It took a moment to notice that my kidnapper was on my tail. From a glance all I could see was an ugly girl with straw for hair, blood red eyes filled with evil intentions, and moles that spotted her face. She was trying to kidnap me! I sped up to try to escape her. At the same time she did too. This went on for what seemed like hours. It was the longest minute of my life while we circled the sandy sidewalk continually.

I couldn’t take it anymore! I pedaled the opposite direction to put my bike at a screeching halt. I jumped off my bike and marched towards her with my best what-do-you-think-your-doing face I could muster. I was not afraid.
She was riding a periwinkle bike with sparkly tassels. I liked her bike much better than my old handy-down bike. She had big fluffy golden curls, blue eyes, and her face was a constellation of freckles, similar to mine.
“What are you doing?” I questioned firmly.

“My name is Delaney and your mom told me to come meet you and become friends.” She replied timidly with no eye contact.

I looked at my mom. She was pleasantly chatting with who I guessed to be Delaney’s mom. I was too busy pedaling away I hadn’t noticed them together.

“What’s your name?” Delaney asked with full confidence this time.

“The name’s McRae. Camille McRae.” I said repeating what my sisters always joked about. I really had no idea what I was mimicking at the time. Now I do. Being no longer terrified of this “kidnapper”, I asked her to race me on the slide.

I took away two things from that experience. The first one being, don’t judge from a glance. The second is a friend. Since then me and Delaney have had our differences but our friendship has never died and never will.